TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: VW's On the Speedway, Irwindale NASCAR Event 5/17/14
Soul Built Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:15 pm

May 17, 2014 - VW's On the Speedway, Irwindale, California

Ever dream of driving your VW on the NASCAR Track? Are you the next Herbie but only cooler?

This is your chance! On May 17th, Irwindale Speedway and allkindsofbbq.com invite you to come out, show your Bug, Bus, Type 3, Thing, Ghia....any aircooled VW, and to take on the NASCAR Track. We will have the chance to make as many as two laps this time.

We did this once before and it was super fun. Here's the thing, we need a strong showing! We need as many Aircoolers out there as possible to take the record. We want SoCal to see that the VW Life is stronger than ever. Singles, clubs and stragglers are all welcome. If you can make it around the track, you are invited.

Cost is FREEEEE!! Bring the wife, husband, kids, sancho, la otra....everyone is free.

All you need to do is RSVP to [email protected]. We have to arrive no later than 3:00 PM. 3:05 and you're locked out...sorry

As of 4/24, we have 19 cars comitted and I expect quite a bit more as the date draws near. Don't miss out!

pb_foots Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:48 am

Can I bring my kid, or is there an 18+ rule?

Soul Built Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:50 am

pb_foots wrote: Can I bring my kid, or is there an 18+ rule?

Kids are welcome! If he/she is to drive, a valid license is necessary.

pb_foots Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:49 am

He's three, so aside from yelling, "faster daddy", it'll be me doing the driving

Soul Built Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:06 pm

pb_foots wrote: He's three, so aside from yelling, "faster daddy", it'll be me doing the driving

That's so awesome! Looking forward to meeting you and your navigators.

Soul Built Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:26 am

Gates open at 2:00, actual event starts at about 4:30

Soul Built Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:47 pm

In responce to a few inquiries, after the laps, you and your passengers will be given free admission to the NASCAR Event that evening. You are free to leave after the laps but it is fun to stay for the races.

Randall Thu May 01, 2014 10:20 pm

What's the top speed they will let us go?

Soul Built Thu May 01, 2014 10:22 pm

Randall wrote: What's the top speed they will let us go?

I have no idea....sorry

Soul Built Wed May 14, 2014 10:54 pm

This Saturday!!! Participation includes free entry for drivers and passengers to the Race. It is the Night of Destruction. Demolition Derby, Trailer Races, and skid plate racing!

Don't miss out.

FREE, FREE, FREE!!!!

Soul Built Thu May 15, 2014 4:09 pm

EVENT UPDATE

We have been advised that the best time to check in is now 3:30.

Gates will open at 3:00 and will close for participants at 4:00.

sprkplg08 Sun May 18, 2014 2:19 pm

posted a few pics in the gallery..

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_keywords=VWs+On+the+Speedway+2014

Rafster05 Sun May 18, 2014 3:38 pm

i will be posting pics on FaceBook :
https://www.facebook.com/RDFoto
'Like' if you do!
-RD!

Kinda Square Mon May 19, 2014 11:57 am

Had a great time and thx for those who posted pics, had to wait awhile to get on track but it was worth it. I think this event even convinced my daughters to come out with me more and cruise the VW! Thx again for those who organized.... let's do it again!!!! :wink:

sprkplg08 Mon May 19, 2014 9:34 pm

Here's a cool group shot..

Soul Built Tue May 20, 2014 11:49 am

sprkplg08 wrote: Here's a cool group shot..

Great pics!

Thanks to everyone who attended. I know details were a bit fuzzy and we were at the mercy of the crew but all in all, that was a killer time. The experience to drive VW's on the NASCAR Track in front of the full crowd was literally a bucketlist opportunity.

The events were fun to watch as well! Trailer Racing, Skidplate Racing, Enduro Race, and Demolition Derby were all good!

We'll do it again but maybe not extend the invitation to the masses.

Thanks again!

sprkplg08 Tue May 20, 2014 9:47 pm

Soul Built wrote:

We'll do it again but maybe not extend the invitation to the masses.

Thanks again!

I think we need a big invite to everyone but give them more detailed information on what to expect. I think I would have had a better time if I knew about the wait and was better prepared. Next time I know to bring a chair and a cooler with food /water. But overall it was a good time :)

pb_foots Wed May 21, 2014 6:14 am

Really sorry we missed this. My son was pretty excited about driving on a real race track, but got pretty sick and would have been miserable waiting, so we decided to not subject everyone else to the sounds of screaming 3 year old.
I appreciate the invite though, maybe next year. Looks like it was a blast!