TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Formula Vee "Cross Drilled" Shifter lever help
hitest Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:15 pm

Hello folks- I searched under all the right words- but found little on this crazy drilled shifter extension from 1971:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/71access/page14.jpg

I found one at a junk yard recently- off it's host car. I was wondering if anyone would happen to know how low I am supposed to saw (you read that right) my stock shift lever down to install this coupled extension. I looked for directions on this site and hoped someone might have done this hackery before. I've never seen one live- and want to be the first on my block to chop.

Also, if anyone knows if the boot is just a stock VW boot of some sort (mine is smaller than the one pictured)- stretched over the coupler.

Thanks a bunch, Bradford

60ragtop Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:28 am

I installed one on my first bug way back when ~ 35 years :shock: . I think I just cut enough off to make the new shifter fit over the old stalk. Is it hollow and has set screws to hold it on?
The boot is not a stock one in that pic

hitest Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:59 pm

Thanks sir.

Mine is hollow and does have the coupler (sleeve with anchor bolts). Mine also has remnants of the boot- but as stated, is different than the one pictured- and is not stock type 1. I know just about enough not to cut it too short (the height of the coupler, for instance) because I certainly don't want to impede the pushing down for reverse procedure. Likewise, if I cut it too long- I'll never find a boot to cover the hackery. I figure I only get one shot with the saw- but I'd certainly like to measure a couple times first.

If anyone has instructions and would be willing to look up the "cut here" measurement- I'd certainly appreciate it. If anyone has one of these and would pull up their boot and give me a rough idea (one finger width, etc.) that would certainly do as well.

If anyone recognizes that boot as something that may cross- refer to another model of car- please let me know as well. Thanks guys, Bradford