TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Sticking clutch pedal
Dr Bob Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:02 am

Hi can anyone help I have a 58 split with a clutch pedal that is sticking I have removed the cable so it is isolated, I removed the nut and cable connector (sorry not sure of item name) but still cannot remove pedal even with a pry bar ...ideas please I can only hope it is simple enough for my skill level.
cheers Pat

Campy Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:10 am

Spray some PB blaster over it off and on for one week.

ToolBox Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:12 am

Did you remove the portion of the pedal that goes through the floor?

And you removed the cable arm from the shaft so it looks like this??

Dr Bob Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:33 am

Hi
yes looks exactly like that but still will not come out...

tasb Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:21 pm

In the past I have had a clutch pedal hang up on one of the bolts that mounts the front bumper. I think VW may have even used a special bolt with a short head on it to clear for this reason.

EverettB Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:41 pm

Going from memory here but doesn't a '58 have a grease fitting for the clutch pedal?

I would grease it up and move it back and forth a lot and see if that helps.

Or unscrew the fitting and spray rust breaker in there and move it around.
Repeat for a few days and see if that helps too.

Eric&Barb Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:58 pm

EverettB wrote: Going from memory here but doesn't a '58 have a grease fitting for the clutch pedal?

Ditto, since our 1960 does....

BulliBill Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:20 pm

Put the crow bar down, walk away and have a beer break. Spray PB Blaster or other penetrants and let them soak in for hours. Then soak them again and try to work the clutch and brake arms back and forth.

Once you do eventually get the assemblies loose and apart, clean, polish and re-grease it all and re-assemble. You won't believe the difference once this has been done! I wrote one of my "Transporter Talk" columns about doing this, and I'll bet it has been covered here in the Split-Bus threads, probably with great photos too. If not, you should cover your procedure here for others.

Enjoy the process...

Bill Bowman

kenshapiro2002 Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:14 pm

A few months ago had to disassemble mine...wouldn't come out. Yep...PB Blaster...move it a smidge...more PB Blaster in a few hours...move it a little more...so on and so on for about two days. Eventually the crud was pouring out with every squirt of more Blaster. Patience pays off. Eventually spun like crazy, pulled right out, and was ready for cleaning and reinstalling (with lotsa grease).

mr white Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:45 pm

Put the crow bar down, walk away and have a beer break. I love it!! In a pinch this works and is what I do.Unbolt upper pedal from lever shaft. Remove 17mm nut off pedal base at cable,let cable hang down,re-install 17mm nut on until nut is flush with pedal shaft.Use mapp gas or propane torch and get the pedal shaft really hot. Use a hammer and knock pedal partially out stricking the nut. At this point most likely you will see rust and hardened smoking grease on the sfaft,spray with generosity zep-45,pb blast,or whatever floats your boat onto the pedal shaft and into its pivot base. Remove the 17mm nut,remove pedal shaft from bus. Clean off in wire wheel and rust treat remains as needed,coat shaft in synthetic or marine grease. Run a brush through pedal shaft on bus until satisfied,heavily coat in grease as mentioned. Re-install all parts. Your clutch pedal should have zero issues,if it does, the problem could be something else.Lets not get into that! :D

Dr Bob Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:03 pm

Thanks for all the encouragement fellas am sure it'll go soon enough but in the mean time I'll just have to wear sturdier shoes...
its got to the point where I have lift the pedal with my toes !!
cheers