View original topic: Acid bath works wonders on '65 bus Page: 1, 2  Next
Nocash Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:06 am

pyrOman Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:23 am

Nocash wrote:

8)

donald.lemay Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:22 am

tell us more about this acid bath.

Bruce Amacker Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:03 am

I'm wondering if they have an EPA in Oz.

:)

williamM Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:16 am

How did that tree in the background like it- Dad killed one of moms by using round up to get weeds out of the bricks, but the tree took it kind a bad.

Your bus looks great- and you can always grow another tree. :wink:

joe56vw Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:02 am

Bruce Amacker wrote: I'm wondering if they have an EPA in Oz.

they drip cars in acid baths in Oregon too so I don't think that matters

Clara Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:08 am

joe56vw wrote: Bruce Amacker wrote: I'm wondering if they have an EPA in Oz.

they drip cars in acid baths in Oregon too so I don't think that matters
Only the state of California knows it causes cancer.

ToolBox Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:19 am

Bruce Amacker wrote: I'm wondering if they have an EPA in Oz.

The environmental regs in Aus would probably make the EPA look like a day care.

DubStyle Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:22 am

Everything causes cancer! There are so many EPA requirements for the use of acids that your stripers and platers have moved out of the state. Eventually we all will have to pay BIG money to have parts replated or chromed because of the chemicals used in the processes. Unless Plating companies can find environment friendly chemicals to replace the harsh stuff.

Jbknown Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:27 am

So whats the next process/step? Anything special needed to clean and prep the metal after an Acid bath?

Adam Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:45 am

So is this something you can do at your house? Sounds like a better option than blasting since there's no risk to warping panels.

66uno Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:07 pm

Roundup should be avoided or at least, used very minimally. It fucks with frogs reproduction organs. What havoc is it doing to everything else?

We all should be careful of the chemicals we use. Despite the rumors to the contrary, we only get one life.

kafer60 Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:12 pm

You should probably update your other posts on the same bus instead starting a new thread each time. Other than that looks good so far.

Mitch Case Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:18 pm

How do you treat the metal behind the double walls I've allways wondered that. Originally they were all diped in primer to keep them from rusting from the inside out.

scholsie Thu May 01, 2014 8:49 am

Mitch Case wrote: How do you treat the metal behind the double walls I've allways wondered that. Originally they were all diped in primer to keep them from rusting from the inside out.

You could have it EPD painted, these guys strip and EPD classic cars/vans in the uk. It will achieve around a 1000 hrs salt spray on a well prepped surface like the acid striping creates, top coat the bits that are seen and the bus will last many more years to come. I believe the EPD line they use belongs to Bentley and they hire it for a period of time to do there jobs, not going to get much better quality than that!

There's some vids of there stripping and EPD process here: http://www.surfaceprocessing.co.uk/for-cars.html

turbotype1 Fri May 02, 2014 4:37 pm

Mitch Case wrote: How do you treat the metal behind the double walls I've allways wondered that. Originally they were all diped in primer to keep them from rusting from the inside out.
Acid dipping has been going on for decades. 1 problem is that it never stops working. The acid must be neutralized to stop it from eating away the metal. The problem is that it gets between the overlapped panels and never gets washed out.
I work in the auto racing industry where acid dipping is a common way to lighten sheetmetal (just don't get caught). I was under the dash of a car that was dipped at least 5 years prior and wouldn't you know it, everywhere that two panels met and were spotwelded together from the factory had no paint adhesion and were rusting away... Because there was no way to get in there to wash out the acid
It is an excellent way to strip single layer panels that can be properly neutralized, but, for boxed construction or anything that is overlapped, Not so much

Pete

Brian_1952 Fri May 02, 2014 4:59 pm

That's what I thought too....I have seen buses that have been media blasted and with that process the metal look like it never had pant on it ..I would definitely say this is the best way.... The bus that I saw that was media blasted you could still see signs of writing on the sheet metal from the factory... Good luck with the acid dipped bus

Malokin Martin Sat May 03, 2014 11:29 am

Oops :shock:

Nocash Sat May 03, 2014 10:48 pm

Once the car comes out it is placed in another bath that stops the process and allows the body to be worked on without surface rust appearing.scotchbrite and hit with etch primer no drama

abritinthebay Sun May 04, 2014 12:10 am

All dipping places dump it in a base to neutralize the acid. Then water since. Eating away, leaking acid, etc - all rubbish old wives tales