TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: aluminium steering box half
consvws Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:17 am

I was cleaning up a couple old ZF steering boxes today & found that the half (with the filler plug) on one of them is made out of aluminium. Any info. it would be appreciated. Just curious as I've never seen one like it before.

quartermilecamel Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:19 pm

yes I have 2 zf boxes and the cover is aluminum. Not sure what else you want to know.

consvws Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:02 pm

quartermilecamel wrote: yes I have 2 zf boxes and the cover is aluminum. Not sure what else you want to know.

Just curious because i had never seen one, and couldn't find any posts about it. Any specific year they made them? or do they just randomly throw them together with what they had?

quartermilecamel Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:05 pm

I have never seen anything other than aluminum.

consvws Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:36 pm

quartermilecamel wrote: I have never seen anything other than aluminum.

Well i just went and checked 2 other bus's. So, out of the 4 that i have 2 are alloy covers. Here is the year of the bus they are from

'57- all cast iron
'58- all cast iron
'59- alloy cover
'60- alloy cover

I have no idea if they are original to the bus or not, but maybe the '59 and up are alloy?

Z Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:48 pm

Are they all ZF boxes? Perhaps the ATE's are not aluminium. I have two ZF boxes and both are aluminum covers.

Stocknazi Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:31 pm

quartermilecamel wrote: I have never seen anything other than aluminum. Most of the steering boxes I have are the aluminum ZF boxes; they seem to be m ore common.

I do have a few all steel ATE brand boxes; there are several cosmetic differences between them.

consvws Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:06 pm

Z wrote: Are they all ZF boxes? Perhaps the ATE's are not aluminium. I have two ZF boxes and both are aluminum covers.

Yes, all the 4 listed above are ZF.

I just looked at 2 other boxes on another '57 & a '65

'57- cast iron (ATE)
'65- alloy ZF/VW