TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Sanity Check - Volkswagen Museum Page: 1, 2  Next
sambaphil Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:39 pm

I submitted an order for my VW Birth Certificate about 12 weeks ago. I asked Rotswitha to confirm my paint colors as soon as possible since I am getting ready to paint. I don't have the original mcode, but I do have the chassis number.

All my research indicates this is a 1966 Microbus Deluxe and stripping paint etc makes me believe its painted Titian Red.

She kindly replied and sent me this information:
"The car with chassis number 246 016 616 is a Model 231 “SO 42 VW-Camper” The color is L 512 Velvet Green and the Upholstery is Dark Beige"

I nearly fell out of my chair when I read this, she must be incorrect. Am I mssing something?

Schwing Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:02 pm

Is Titian Red a color for 66? Can you share some pictures of the engine bay or under the dash, or maybe anywhere you see red?

I have heard of mistakes before, so maybe its best to share the red that you see in places so the pros can decide? Have you found Velvet Green anywhere?

srfndoc Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:28 pm

Most SO 42's would have a VIN plate like this one:

The only exceptions would be European tourist delivery buses which are not very common. Your's is also listed as a Type 24 (Microbus) of which no Westy's were made from.

sambaphil Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:59 pm

Yes, 1966 was the first year of Titian Red vs Sealing Wax Red. I don't have a picture of it yet, but inside the engine compartment with the chassis number on it is also red. I even used paint stripper to get to OG paint (which nothing came off). I think a mistake was made..

Here are some pics:

Also, my VIN plate clearly states this is a type 24 Bus...not a 23. Thanks for the input on this one...

Single Port Samba Phil

joe56vw Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:05 pm

sambaphil wrote:

Also, my VIN plate clearly states this is a type 24 Bus...not a 23. Thanks for the input on this one...

Single Port Samba Phil

does the stamped number in the engine compartment match the overhead plate?

sambaphil Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:29 pm

Yep, the stamped number does match the overhead plate. Triple checked that. All good there...

Z Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:53 pm

Its definitely Titian red...apparently, the museum makes semi-frequent mistakes on the birth certificates.

sambaphil Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:17 pm

Z wrote: Its definitely Titian red...apparently, the museum makes semi-frequent mistakes on the birth certificates.

OK thanks again for everyones input on this.....so I am sane...well at least for the moment.

I will e-mail her back and hopefully they send me the birth certificate with the correct info on it. Sigh...probably a long wait.

velvetgreen Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:58 pm

I have written to the VW Museum with a number of cars that I have owned and they got the info wrong many a time.

I think common sense prevails over the supposed "expertise" of the VW Museum. Had they known that people would be inquiring about info on buses 50 years later they probably would have kept better records!

velvetgreen Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:01 pm

also worth noting that I have never seen a deluxe in velvet green as that colour was reserved for commercials. I know that VW made exceptions to most every "rule" but it would be an oddity for sure to see a Deluxe in Velvet Green

Stocknazi Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:58 pm

velvetgreen wrote: I have written to the VW Museum with a number of cars that I have owned and they got the info wrong many a time.

I think common sense prevails over the supposed "expertise" of the VW Museum. Had they known that people would be inquiring about info on buses 50 years later they probably would have kept better records! This would be fine and good if the info was given freely by the meseum; not sure what the cost of a b.c. is now, but it's not free.

What is the point of getting a birth cirt. on your bus if the information is wrong?
So what's the issue with the mis-information, bad records or carelessness?

velvetgreen Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:31 am

Not sure why they sometimes hand out wrong info, I was willing to live with it back when they handed out the info for free, would not be so pleased if I was paying for it!

Merlin Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:59 am

I recently acquired a certificate for my '54 and it has a few errors, so look upon them as a novelty, at best.

c21darrel Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:19 pm

I took a pic of this doublecab with 6 popout windows :shock:

chiroracer Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:29 pm

my certificate got almost everything wrong.
They are a joke. S

EverettB Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:46 pm

No big deal on that 025 above - In that case since it's a Truck only the bumper part of 025 applies.

Stocknazi Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:28 pm

So, if you get a b.c. with wrong info will they send you another one with corrections, or are you SOL?

EverettB Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:34 pm

StockNazi wrote: So, if you get a b.c. with wrong info will they send you another one with corrections, or are you SOL?

I have not had this issue myself but I have seen multiple people post that they emailed them and got a new corrected one.

hitest Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:52 pm

velvetgreen wrote: also worth noting that I have never seen a deluxe in velvet green as that colour was reserved for commercials. I know that VW made exceptions to most every "rule" but it would be an oddity for sure to see a Deluxe in Velvet Green

Do you mean "all" Velvet Green or partial? Deluxes most certainly came in Velvet as a lower color with the white upper.

velvetgreen Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:41 pm

I mean solid green panel- am aware that they did two tone buses with VG on lower half :)