TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Positive camber on one rear wheel Page: 1, 2  Next
StevieC Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:54 am

My buggy has 3x3 arms, IRS Bus trans, 930 axles with CV's, torsion bars, and non-coilover fox shocks

My right rear wheel has some positive camber and the left rear is almost straight up and down

is there a way to adjust the camber on it?

thanks!

Dale M. Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:07 pm

Most likely you have a bent arm.....

Dale

ORANGECRUSHer Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:15 pm

hit it a little harder than the rock that bent it
Can you see any bend in the arm?

StevieC Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:27 pm

aww crud :lol:

that same right rear is pigeon toed also

can I take a big pipe or something and bend it back?

77charger Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:12 pm

What arms are they??

StevieC Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:20 pm

77charger wrote: What arms are they??

I don't know, when I get home I'll take a look at it
Should there be markings on it?

77charger Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:44 pm

StevieC wrote: 77charger wrote: What arms are they??

Are they the boxed import 3x3s?

StevieC Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:31 pm

77charger wrote: StevieC wrote: 77charger wrote: What arms are they??

Are they the boxed import 3x3s?

yes they are

77charger Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:29 pm

The china ones were copied from the usa made arms problem was they only bought one copied it then flipped it over to make the other side.Normaly its the drivers side one that has the pos camber.What is odd is yours is the right rear tire

I know mine was like that as well as others i know same deal.I removed my inner pivot and rewelded it at a 3 degree angle and it solved my problem.

Now when i i do get the usa made arms im gonna have to redo it.

StevieC Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:39 pm

77charger wrote: The china ones were copied from the usa made arms problem was they only bought one copied it then flipped it over to make the other side.Normaly its the drivers side one that has the pos camber.What is odd is yours is the right rear tire

I know mine was like that as well as others i know same deal.I removed my inner pivot and rewelded it at a 3 degree angle and it solved my problem.

Now when i i do get the usa made arms im gonna have to redo it.

Is that a huge job?
What is involved?

StevieC Thu May 01, 2014 10:10 am

Here's some pictures of it and you can see the camber, I mean it's not as bad as some swing axles but it's camber'd in on the right rear

any ideas?

ORANGECRUSHer Thu May 01, 2014 10:28 am

My opinion;
I'd just deal with it - rotate the tires side to side - in the meantime I'd save up $450 and buy some quality USA made arms from Avery's. If it were my buggy I might just live with that little bit off. Or at least flog them until I could afford a different set. Like it or not, you may be able to bend them on your own but I doubt that you could do it with any kind of precision to undo the lack of precision they were made with. Generally speaking they were made to resist just the bending you intend. You could cut and weld but I would only do that if I were willing to replace them all together if it didn't go well.
Again, that's just my opinion.

StevieC Thu May 01, 2014 3:47 pm

Yeah I think I'll just leave it if it's a major job, it's not really hurting anything

I just thought there might be an easy adjustment lol

77charger Thu May 01, 2014 6:15 pm

I have also been able to take a lil camber out by moving the trailing arm where it bolts to the spring plate.My spring plates holes for the trailing arms are slotted for toe in adjustments but for some reason theres a lil room for that lets you go up down very slightly.Once i had it set i drilled another hole into the trailing arm and spring plate for a 5/16th bolt so that they wouldnt move.

Are your bushings in good shape?

StevieC Thu May 01, 2014 6:43 pm

77charger wrote: I have also been able to take a lil camber out by moving the trailing arm where it bolts to the spring plate.My spring plates holes for the trailing arms are slotted for toe in adjustments but for some reason theres a lil room for that lets you go up down very slightly.Once i had it set i drilled another hole into the trailing arm and spring plate for a 5/16th bolt so that they wouldnt move.

Are your bushings in good shape?

thanks, that same wheel is toed in, maybe my spring plate is slotted like yours

what bushings?

77charger Thu May 01, 2014 8:57 pm

bushings at the pivot.

When i built my car my right side was straight my left was camber.I fixed the left side like i explained but soon after it started leaning again after a couple dune trips.
I changed the bushings when i fixed it too it puzzled me so i loosened the 3 bolts at the springplate moved the trailing arm around and retightend and pos camber was gone at ride height then drilled anoter bolt hole added a bolt to keep adjustments.

Gone the past seasons at the dunes without a change in camber and still on the same bushings.

StevieC Fri May 02, 2014 11:37 am

Does it take regular trailing arm bushings?

77charger Fri May 02, 2014 8:13 pm

I ran the red urethane ones they were ok then went to the yellow ones not sure the material but they are harder but dont think they are delrin

Timwest007 Fri May 02, 2014 8:46 pm

I had the same issue loosen the bolts on the trailing arm with a jack under it make sure not to tighten it with the suspension at max travel it fixed both sides of my buggy after new boxed arms went in.

BugZyla.com Sat May 03, 2014 7:24 am

If anyone needs an arm straightened out, give us a call. We have repaired many of these less expensive arms. Just PM me or call.