TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 61 only Windsheild washer operation HELP!
remerus Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:22 pm

HI Guys,

As the title suggests I am looking for some information on how the 61 only bellows type windshield washers operated. I have done an extensive search on the samba and read countless threads and posts to see if someone posted how they function.

I have a Aussie 63 bug that were equip t with this type of wiper/ washer switch
and am having a hard time with working out how troubleshoot it. it apears to be a one speed wiper (one click to the right ON one tot the left OFF ) that all works fine but it doesn't apear to pull out or push in for that matter.

anyone got a video of the switch in operation they could post just to help me out please?

RareAir Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:15 pm

It works like a bellow. You pull the knob out, it siphons fluid from the washer bottle. Pushing in the knob will pressurize and "squirt" the fluid out the washer jet.

If your knob is seized, the system wont operate

remerus Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:46 pm

RareAir wrote: It works like a bellow. You pull the knob out, it siphons fluid from the washer bottle. Pushing in the knob will pressurize and "squirt" the fluid out the washer jet.

If your knob is seized, the system wont operate

Thanks for the reply RareAir.

the bellows look to be in good condition but the knob my pushing and pulling on it get about 1 - 2 mm play if that, Is it common for his to happen? I mean the knob seizing? Is it fixable or have I no other choice but get a new unit?

Aussie63 Thu May 01, 2014 4:04 am

I have the same spec bug as you, '63 aussie. I've got the same type washer switch. I can post some pics and a small video later but the operation is simple as has already be posted.

Yes, it's a one speed wiper. The knob should pull out a good inch or so (well mine does) when your siphoning the water. The crucial thing with these systems is that tiny T-connection piece. Inside that are tiny balls which prevent water entering the pump and direct it to the screen. If these are missing or seized the whole thing won't work, plus they are extremely hard to get hold of.

I could be wrong, but that pump looks modified to me, never seen one with screws holding down the actual pump. But bottom line, yeah the knob should move freely in and out about an inch if its working your see it squeezing the rubber pump inwards.

Aussie63 Thu May 01, 2014 4:10 am

I have the same spec bug as you, '63 aussie. I've got the same type washer switch. I can post some pics and a small video later but the operation is simple as has already be posted.

Yes, it's a one speed wiper. The knob should pull out a good inch or so (well mine does) when your siphoning the water. The crucial thing with these systems is that tiny T-connection piece. Inside that are tiny balls which prevent water entering the pump and direct it to the screen. If these are missing or seized the whole thing won't work, plus they are extremely hard to get hold of.

I could be wrong, but that pump looks modified to me, never seen one with screws holding down the actual pump. But bottom line, yeah the knob should move freely in and out about an inch if its working your see it squeezing the rubber pump inwards.

remerus Thu May 01, 2014 5:40 am

Aussie63 wrote: I have the same spec bug as you, '63 aussie. I've got the same type washer switch. I can post some pics and a small video later but the operation is simple as has already be posted.

Hi Aussie63 the photo I posted is an example of one and not actually mine. I think the screws you see are old screw on terminals maybe?

Yes a video would be great if you don't mind I would love to see one on action.

Aussie63 Thu May 01, 2014 7:34 am

Here you go, hope this helps.

http://youtu.be/Yq_rEQLypdE

remerus Thu May 01, 2014 4:51 pm

Aussie63 wrote: Here you go, hope this helps.

Cheers Mate, Helped alot to see how it functions. Thank you for posting.

Does anyone know how to pull the switch out of the car?

GüteAndTite Fri May 02, 2014 4:20 am

Aussie63 wrote: Here you go, hope this helps.

haha, ive seen this 61 wiper switch referred to as the "jerk off the car washer switch", now it makes sense- LOL.

VOLKSWAGNUT Fri May 02, 2014 5:34 am

RareAir wrote: It works like a bellow. You pull the knob out, it siphons fluid from the washer bottle. Pushing in the knob will pressurize and "squirt" the fluid out the washer jet.

^ Allmost.. It squirts when its pulled on quickly..

:lol:

GüteAndTite Fri May 02, 2014 7:31 am

any idea on where I could pick up an original T check valve like the picture here?? i need one for my car badly! looked on ebay for a new equivalent and nada. and nothing here in the classifieds. I should post a want ad I suppose, but if anyone has one, let me know!!

Martin Southwell Fri May 02, 2014 8:32 am

I can see from your blog that you are trying to get the washers working using the bellows style water pump. You don't need any special T valve as shown in your picture, which in reality will be two non return valves incorporated into the one T shaped item. What I'm about to say sounds more complicated than it is, so don't be put off! The parts you need, a T piece and two NRVs, are usually available from general car part stores.

Basiscally, if you buy a normal hollow T piece;

1) Connect the tube coming off the bellows to say the bottom tube of the T. Not crucial, but tidier looking.

2) Connect one side of the remaining two tubes on your T piece to your water bottle, and the other to your washer jet. It wont work yet, but would just cause water to move back & forth within the tubing, and so needs help to go where we need it to go!

3) You then need an in-line non return valve NRV (US = Check valve) in the tube coming from the washer bottle. Slice through the tubing, as near as possible to the water bottle, and the open ends you are left with will fit on to the NRV. This allows the water to only go in one direction, so make sure that it is going in the direction required, i.e. Away from the water bottle.

4) Do the same with the tubing between the T piece, and the washer jet, fitting as close to the T piece as possible, making sure the water flow is towards the windscreen washer jet, otherwise no water will flow. Frequently these NRVs have an arrow on the outside to show the way the water travels.

Hope this helps.

VOLKSWAGNUT Fri May 02, 2014 8:34 am

Yep.. a couple of vacuum check valves do the trick....

Just search Windshield washer check valve on Google images.,.

Porsche, BMW and Saab.. and others use washer check valves similar to these.

GüteAndTite Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:20 pm

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote: Yep.. a couple of vacuum check valves do the trick....

Just search Windshield washer check valve on Google images.,.

Porsche, BMW and Saab.. and others use washer check valves similar to these.

The ones posted while T shaped are single ball check valves with output for 2 squirters.
Finding a non original dual check valve that is t shaped is unobtanium. The work around for this is 2 inline check valves and a T pipe. Connect washer bottle to in port of 1st check valve, out port to a leg of T pipe, connect washer bellow to a Leg of T pipe, then third leg of T pipe to in port of 2nd check valve, out port goes for single washer squirter, or to a Second T pipe that splits to dual squirters

OutbackUSA Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:22 pm

I am looking for the Check Valves with a 2.5mm Barb to fit the OEM 2.5mm ID line from the washer bottle to a standard t-fitting near the cowl nozzle and switch/plunger.

No luck

Martin Southwell wrote: I can see from your blog that you are trying to get the washers working using the bellows style water pump. You don't need any special T valve as shown in your picture, which in reality will be two non return valves incorporated into the one T shaped item. What I'm about to say sounds more complicated than it is, so don't be put off! The parts you need, a T piece and two NRVs, are usually available from general car part stores.

Basiscally, if you buy a normal hollow T piece;

1) Connect the tube coming off the bellows to say the bottom tube of the T. Not crucial, but tidier looking.

2) Connect one side of the remaining two tubes on your T piece to your water bottle, and the other to your washer jet. It wont work yet, but would just cause water to move back & forth within the tubing, and so needs help to go where we need it to go!

3) You then need an in-line non return valve NRV (US = Check valve) in the tube coming from the washer bottle. Slice through the tubing, as near as possible to the water bottle, and the open ends you are left with will fit on to the NRV. This allows the water to only go in one direction, so make sure that it is going in the direction required, i.e. Away from the water bottle.

4) Do the same with the tubing between the T piece, and the washer jet, fitting as close to the T piece as possible, making sure the water flow is towards the windscreen washer jet, otherwise no water will flow. Frequently these NRVs have an arrow on the outside to show the way the water travels.

Hope this helps.

finster Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:05 am

think the nearest you can get is 3mm dia which should be do-able if the hose is softened in hot water before fitting.

googling 3mmm miniature check valve brings up several options

Eric&Barb Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:43 am

2.4mm should work.

https://www.medicaldesignandoutsourcing.com/qosina-introduces-new-barbed-check-valves/

finster Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:17 am

isn't this the sort of thing a 3d printer could knock out?