TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Dogleg bumper step cutout
lightice Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:19 pm

Hi, the PO replaced the entire dogleg with a smooth faced one without the cutout.

Just ordered the bumper step brackets from schofields and need to make cuts on the outer skin to weld the brackets in.

Anyone have pictures with some dimensions that I can use as a template for the cutting?

Also, what's the best way to go about making the cutout and welding the bracket in?

Thanks

lightice Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:25 am

If not a template, does anyone have some quick measurements? Thanks

Eric&Barb Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:35 pm

Think your best bet would be to install a new or used perfect front bumper. Attach brackets to the bumper and see where the brackets line up and how even to each other.

Also would help to post what year of bus.

brettsvw Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:13 pm

Show us a pic of what was done.

lightice Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:15 pm

Don't have a pic now as the vehicle is in the shop, but it's something like this but on a 1966 bus:

There's no cutout, and when we sanded down to bare metal, it was a totally flat piece meaning the whole outer skin was replaced.

DubStyle Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:17 am

What year is your bus? In the even this location changed.

lightice Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:19 am

1966 bus.

Schwing Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:52 am

I think thats a homemade dogleg skin. I'm not trying to rag on you bus at all, but if you plan on making that work I would definitely take the earlier advice and mount a bumper first.

Here are some measurements from a WolfsburgWest replacement dogleg. I'm guessing that you will see variances depending on vendor, and even with OG ones. Its all about that bumper mounting properly.

lightice Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:39 am

That picture is not my bus, but exactly the same.

Noted with the bumper install then fitting.

Will use approximately those dimensions given after mounting bumper.

Appreciate the response.

Schwing Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:14 am

lightice wrote: That picture is not my bus, but exactly the same.

Noted with the bumper install then fitting.

Will use approximately those dimensions given after mounting bumper.

Appreciate the response.

No problem. Sorry apparently I can't read that well. I'd mount the bumper, and then make a cardboard template that I would tape to the dogleg. Once you remove the bumper, you are in business. Good luck!

lightice Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:24 am

You've helped a lot with the measurements.

Hopefully it'll be successful lol!