TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Searchable Type 1 parts list now available
fla2smoker Fri May 02, 2014 1:59 pm

Hi all,
I have been working with Elliott Johnson over at oacdp.org to get the pdf documents for the type1 converted so that they can be searched. The scanned parts manuals are not perfect but we have been successful in getting the majority of the parts listed in the manual to be searchable. You can download the pdf files from here:

http://oacdp.org/type1part.html

I will continue to work on these. So if you find areas that need work let me know and I will see what I can do. There are some areas that are impossible to read because of the original scan.

fla2smoker Fri May 02, 2014 9:24 pm

I have been asked "how do I search" and "why do I want to search?"
First I recommend that you right click on the PDF file and choose "save target as" and then choose a location on your computer where you will remember or create a new folder to save the pdf's in. There are currently 9 PDF files depending on what section of the car you are looking for parts for. Open the PDF file and then either click on the binoculars on the left or hold down the "ctrl" key and press the "f" key. These will give you the search function. Now type in the partial part name or part number and click on search. For instance I am looking at a part on thesamba classifieds and not sure if it is for my car. If the seller has a part number I can enter that by using the commands above to see what it fits or I can search the PDF by description to find the right part number then ask the seller if the part number listed in the document matches what they are selling. Or I am at a swap meet and I am looking at an air cleaner. I can browse to the oacdp site then open the PDF file for engines and then search the file based off the part number to see what it fits.
I hope this helps everyone who has questions about an OEM part or is looking for an OEM part.

bruce jones Sat May 03, 2014 3:17 am

This must have been a fantastic amount of work. Well done, and thank you for sharing it.

pb_foots Sat May 03, 2014 6:13 am

Love the special tools info. This is a good read, thanks for sharing!

fla2smoker Tue May 06, 2014 11:31 am

UPDATE:

The searchable electrical pdf (Main Group 9) is now available for download!

Like I mentioned earlier the quality of the scans (From 2004) is not the best so some parts may not be legible.

You can download all of them here (WARNING: These files are LARGE):
Recommend that you right mouse click and click on save target as and choose a location on your computer to save the files.

Main Group 1 (Engine)
Main Group 2 (Fuel, Exhaust and heating systems)
Main Group 3 (Transmission)
Main Group 4 (Front Axle, Steering)
Main Group 5 (Rear Axle)
Main Group 6 (Road Wheels, Brakes)
Main Group 7 (Frame, Hand Lever, Pedal Cluster)
Main Group 8 (Body)
Main Group 9 (Electrical Equipment)

glutamodo Tue May 06, 2014 10:04 pm

FYI - For those of you who would like cleaner scans, especially of the diagrams, and for some of the missing pages - this same manual is available in German here:

http://www.vw-classicparts.de/et_katalog1970/index.html

fla2smoker Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:39 pm

I just wanted to bump this up for all the new members. These parts lists are from 71 and I have not been given any new docs to update. So if anyone has documents or pages that can help please let me know. Like I stated in my earlier post. Save these PDF files to wherever you want and when you open them with acrobat reader hit ctrl-f (find) and type in the name or a partial part number to search. I saved these files to my OneDrive account and can search them at swap meets to find out what the part I am looking at is for.

gt1953 Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:01 am

http://www.partsbase.org/vw/vw-1200-1300-1302-1303-1200-us/

try this one also

far rider Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:49 am

fla2smoker, thanks!

fla2smoker Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:07 am

Another parts list that is invaluable is the type 3 standard parts list. VW used standard nuts, bolts, washers and screws between the different models for the most part. So when I need to find the length, thread or type of hardware that is listed in the Type 1 parts list. I often search this for more detailed information.
Here is the link to that PDF document located here on thesamba:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/type3_..._Parts.pdf

empi3 Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:35 am

While the partsbase.org is an excellent resource, it's not as complete as the oacdp.org files. Also in some parts it can be misleading.

Case in point, partsbase.org does not list the 1971-72 tail light bulb holder part #113 945 231. It is different from the 1968-70 bulb holder #111 945 263 * . This is a relatively minor but, is somewhat misleading.

That being said, I'm thankful that partsbase.org exists as it is a valuable resource and will continue to use it and the oacdp.org files.

Steven

57BLITZ Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:26 pm

far rider wrote: fla2smoker, thanks!
X2!!!!! 8)