TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Wondering what ya'll think. . . Good deal or not so much??
sbtwomey Sun May 04, 2014 6:16 am

I was thinking of buying this motor off this guy. . .gonna offer him $250, he has had it posted for sale for some time now.

For sale a Vw Beetle engine the came out of a '73 super Beetle
Engine is missing ignition coil and plug wire
generator is new
distributor has a pertrnoix ignitor installed

sbtwomey Sun May 04, 2014 6:17 am

He has had it listed for sale at $300 for over 2 months

Mike Fisher Sun May 04, 2014 8:14 am

$300 is a fair price for a complete engine, but you still might have to rebuild it? Bolt it in and try and get it running as is, Before you even think about taking it apart! :twisted:

sbtwomey Sun May 04, 2014 9:05 am

I am getting a 72 Bus next Sunday that runs great and has had a recent rebuild with some upgrades. This would be to have as a backup/replacement for when the time comes to pull the motor that's currently in the Bus, or to go through/clean up/get running and flip for a little profit.

skills@eurocarsplus Sun May 04, 2014 9:12 am

sbtwomey wrote: I am getting a 72 Bus next Sunday that runs great and has had a recent rebuild with some upgrades. This would be to have as a backup/replacement for when the time comes to pull the motor that's currently in the Bus, or to go through/clean up/get running and flip for a little profit.

well, unless you are a pro/shop etc i don't think you will make a dime on warming over a engine. i wouldn't (and don't anymore) pay more than 300.00 for complete engine or more than 100 for a long block.

i know i will need to build it anyway, and i think most people on the forum would feel the same way.

i have a industrial for sale now, for 800 obo. runs perfect (and can prove it) but the reality is no one wants to gamble on a hundered year old engine. i can 100% understand that

crukab Sun May 04, 2014 1:52 pm

sbtwomey wrote: I am getting a 72 Bus next Sunday that runs great and has had a recent rebuild with some upgrades. This would be to have as a backup/replacement for when the time comes to pull the motor that's currently in the Bus, or to go through/clean up/get running and flip for a little profit.

You do know this engine would need some mods. to fit in a '72 Bus?

jspbtown Mon May 05, 2014 9:11 am

Check the endplay at the very minimum.

sbtwomey Tue May 06, 2014 2:26 pm

Yeah i figure it would require some mods to work. I was also in the future planning to get either another bus, or get a bug so I might be able to just look for a rolling chasis that this can drop into.