TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: '65 Westy: brakes, suspension, gearbox without lowering
tumisoft Wed May 07, 2014 5:34 am

Hi,

I own a '65 Westy with a 2007cc engine

Is it possible to 'modernize' the brakes, remove the reduction boxes and change the standard gearbox without lowering my bus?

What gearbox choices do I have to enjoy a more comfortable ride?

Thanks

Stef

pyrOman Wed May 07, 2014 5:49 am

tumisoft wrote: Is it possible to 'modernize' the brakes, remove the reduction boxes and change the standard gearbox without lowering my bus?

Yes! 8)

To "IRS" or "not to IRS", that is the Q

tumisoft Wed May 07, 2014 5:59 am

@pyrOman: this link doesn't work for me, I get the message 'You have permanently been banned...', no matter from which IP-address I try

Clara Wed May 07, 2014 6:36 am

The size motor you have is bigger than the stock 1500, and can happily use higher gearing. You could go to a 4.125 or even higher a 3.88 r/p with that engine, and be able to use it, There are a ton of threads on gearing.
The 3.88 r/p with 1.26 boxes is too tall for a 1600 motor in a bus, from my experience with a 65 westy. But with your motor it would allow you to cruise 75 mph. IIRC, 70mph was about 3K rpms with stock size tires in my 65 bus.

There are a number of threads about disc brakes: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search..._chars=200

power assisted brakes are also an option.

durfeec Wed May 07, 2014 6:37 am

Link works for me. Have you been banned from that site? The answer is you need to convert to a type 2 IRS.

pyrOman Wed May 07, 2014 10:54 am

tumisoft wrote: @pyrOman: this link doesn't work for me, I get the message 'You have permanently been banned...', no matter from which IP-address I try

Sorry to hear that! :(

durfeec wrote: Link works for me. Have you been banned from that site? The answer is you need to convert to a type 2 IRS.

Exactly! After I did mine, it actually ended up about an inch HIGHER even! :o

The power, gearing and tire size combo is what's important! I did very well with an 1835, RGBs and tall tires. With the 2276, IRS, and stock geared type 1 transaxle I had to use smaller diameter tires for the engine to be happy at a decent speed. 8)

tumisoft Thu May 08, 2014 12:26 am

thanks for your answers