TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Exhaust header help.
imz8478 Wed May 07, 2014 12:32 pm

I bought this header and came with a new muffler the guy claims here. I bought it from one of his ads and hr stated he installed it on the engine out of the car loosely. But I am having issues as it wont mount flush onto the flange. Here are some photos. Can someone help and tell me will this fit or do I have something wrong. I told the seller that he gave me something that wont fit. Am I wrong on that also?

Nate M. Wed May 07, 2014 1:21 pm

If I'm understanding you correctly, the header fits but the muffler does not mate up flange to flange because the muffler hits the tubes on the right side??

If that's correct, it's because you appear to have a muffler assembly for a beetle. Muffler assemblies for a T3 have only a 90 degree bend tube going in so the muffler fits parallel to the rear of the car. Beetle muffler assemblies have about a 115 degree inlet tube so that the muffler is swept forward to stay under the bumper.

A muffler shop (or you) can fix this with a welder.

imz8478 Wed May 07, 2014 1:30 pm

That is totally correct. It hits the right side of the header tube. I knew it wouldn't fit at all. Just by the look of it and the guy here told me it would. He said he has been selling VW type 3 parts for 20 years and he said it fit. But of course it didn't cause you are correct. So how could I fix this if it is fixable? Do I have to cut and weld back at an angle or just get different headers?

Yabbadubbadoo Wed May 07, 2014 3:16 pm

Looks to me like both ends of that muffler have the 115deg bend. If you straighten up the flange end to 90deg then the tail pipe won't exit perpendicular with the rear apron. What I'm saying is both sides need a tweak. Involves cutting near the muffler exit and re-welding a 90deg bend.
Muffler shop job IMO. if you try to cut down the bends till they are 90 they might end up too short. muffler shop would just weld in two new 90's.
Contact the seller first though. See if he didn't mix up the mufflers. If you payed with Paypal put in a claim. I think the seller should either refund you for the muffler or at least refund the cost of the work that needs to be done.

Nate M. Wed May 07, 2014 3:21 pm

A muffler shop can do it or you can if you have a welder.

Mike Fisher Thu May 08, 2014 6:45 am

Your big oval 'quiet pack' muffler doesn't fit very well on a Type 3. :evil: We ended up using round Harley-Davidson mufflers, but it was loud!

luckystiff Thu May 08, 2014 8:37 am

i don't have the pic handy but it's here in a thread on my square with 2021cc i used a header and a short turbo tube muffler(i got it from summit or jeggs and it's like 10-12") and had my local exhaust guy make the bends and weld everything up. it tucks up out of the way and sounds better than any system i've seen/heard. i bought the header for $25, the turbo tube i think was about $25 shipped, and my exhaust guy charged me $80 for his end. the only thing i have ever had anyone say bad about it is i ran it to exit out the right side instead of the left like stock. i did so to keep from cluttering the left even more since the full flow filter is already there. i'll make it look "correct" when i do body work back there...ken....

went and checked and there are a coupla pics in my gallery....

luckystiff Thu May 08, 2014 8:46 am

if anyone wants to replicate what i did i can dig up the receipt for the turbo tube and get the part number and supplier. i took me about 3 days of searching to find one the right lenght/diameter/inlet/outlet etc.

i've got an extra t3 header here i was gonna list up for sale. been going back and forth on having another set up like mine made and selling it ready to go.