TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Which aftermarket radio faceplate do I need?
J1 Wed May 07, 2014 1:32 pm

I'm totally ignorant about audio systems. All I know is that this is in my Ghia and I'd like to buy a faceplate so I can have some tunes.

Does it have to be a Panasonic? What should I be looking for to make sure it fits? Any tips/opinions on buying a used one? Thx!

60ragtop Wed May 07, 2014 2:19 pm

you need a specific face plate for the radio, get the model number off the radio to see what one you need. probably easier, cheaper & faster just to get a different radio :wink:

hitest Thu May 08, 2014 7:26 pm

Another possible obstacle- the word "security" on there. I second the motion for new radio. You will search the world with your wallet open before the luck of a compatible faceplate pops up.

J1 Tue May 13, 2014 12:12 pm

60ragtop wrote: you need a specific face plate for the radio, get the model number off the radio to see what one you need.

I looked around the radio (without removing) and couldn't find a model number. Very possible it's just in a hard-to-see spot, but is there a standard location for it?

hitest wrote: Another possible obstacle- the word "security" on there.

And that means... what? Would that really prevent me from using it if I did find the appropriate faceplate?

Merlin Tue May 13, 2014 1:34 pm

Jawon wrote: 60ragtop wrote: you need a specific face plate for the radio, get the model number off the radio to see what one you need.

I looked around the radio (without removing) and couldn't find a model number. Very possible it's just in a hard-to-see spot, but is there a standard location for it?

hitest wrote: Another possible obstacle- the word "security" on there.

And that means... what? Would that really prevent me from using it if I did find the appropriate faceplate?

It's been a long time, but from what I can recall, those faceplates are generally coded. If your faceplate's code doesn't match the deck's code, no go.

Glenn Tue May 13, 2014 1:46 pm

You're wasting your time. You'll need a faceplate that is specific for that model. So unless someone's car was stolen and the faceplate was not in the car you'll have to buy a new radio.

J1 Tue May 13, 2014 4:41 pm

Thx for the input. I need clarification though.

I know that there are lots of different models, so I'd need to make sure I have the right model faceplate that fits the deck.

But are you saying even if I find a matching faceplate, it wouldn't work because an individual faceplate is coded to work only in one specific deck?

I know I should just contact Panasonic directly but uh, I'm lazy and I was already on the samba when I started this post :) Thx.

hitest Tue May 13, 2014 9:08 pm

You can contact Panasonic- but they'll tell you they are $244.50 plus shipping (test me on this and reply to this thread). That is what people in the industry (that I've been in for 13 years) call a "not economical to repair" condition. Have some fun- call your friendly local Panasonic- authorized car stereo place and ask about replacement faceplates for security coded decks. They'll tell you to pull the deck and supply them with the serial number. If it was registered to the previous owner- I don't know if Panasonic would even sell you one. Eclipse sure wouldn't back in the day. It's a feature the original purchaser paid for- not you. What good is the security of a deck if it's easily bypassed?

Not knowing Panasonic's take on it- I'm only speculating- but with the brands I've worked for- it is not easy. Most companies are reluctant to make what may be a stolen radio (in their eyes) reusable down the road. Some brands even offer a "if your faceplate is stolen" guarantee! Why? Because, you're the original buyer of their product over all others and it is worth their investment at minimal risk to make a buyer out of you.

Good luck- but please update this thread with your findings from Panasonic.

55VOLKY Tue May 27, 2014 10:06 am

I needed a face plate for a Sony cassette deck and found it on eBay, just need to know the model number of the player, also decks are so cheap now that is probably better to buy new. 8)

RareAir Tue May 27, 2014 3:55 pm

Cost of as new Panasonic face plate: $200=

Cost of a complete new CD player: under $120

GArBa Fri May 30, 2014 3:48 pm

yup. also, assuming you can find the faceplate and have it coded, you still cannot be sure if your deck is actually working or not. maybe I'm being a bit distrustful, but...
see it in this way: a friend of mine recently bought a house with a allegedly "perfectly working, almost-brand-new" air conditioning system which he could not test because the PO had "accidentally misplaced" the remote. Well after getting hold of a remote we found out half of the system wasn't working at all.

J1 Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:53 pm

Thx for all the tips. Closing the loop on this. I now have a functional stereo! Here was my journey, in much condensed version...

1. Removed the deck and found model number.

2. Emailed Panasonic to ask whether a new faceplate would work. They were very cryptic and unhelpful, at least via email. After several email exchanges, all they did was refer me to an authorized service center.

3. I called the service center and they said they have never heard of needing to "code" a Panasonic faceplate and that as long as the faceplate is the right model, it should work.

4. I found a matching faceplate on ebay for $17 shipped. Used, but seller guaranteed it works and will fit my deck.

5. I received the faceplate, snapped it in, crossed my fingers and... smiled ear to ear as the lights came on and music streamed through the speakers.

There were a lot of unknowns so I guess I lucked out on this one! Though this might be one of my smallest investments in the car, it'll certainly give me plenty of joy everytime I sit in the car.

coad Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:11 pm

Good for you. Glad it worked out.

Also, thanks for coming back and telling us how it all worked out.