TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: MAM Funfest 2014! Page: 1, 2  Next
Migit Wed May 07, 2014 3:20 pm

So who's going and does anyone know the schedule of events? I looked all over MAMs site and couldn't find anything.

nynone4 Mon May 12, 2014 8:21 am

I'm planning to go - at least on Saturday if I can get the truck buttoned up and reasonably reliable by then.

I've looked at their site as well - and it looks like there is an error with their signup page. There was a listing though in the recent HotVWs magazine...

BulliBill Thu May 29, 2014 4:27 pm

I'm signed up to attend, probably in my '67 Westy, and will definitely be there on Friday night camping and on at least Saturday. If I don't have to work on Sunday, I'll stay all weekend. Gotta break out the cooler and stock up on some brews! I always look forward to camping right on site at this one!

Bill Bowman

detroitjohnny Sat May 31, 2014 4:46 am

I'll be there with my oval again this year. Had a great time last year, even with the torrential weather. Should be there Friday around 3 or so and stay through Sunday. See y'all there!

Migit Sat May 31, 2014 10:41 am

I don't know if the Hearse is going to make it or not but we will be there, just look out for the twin mini-me's wanting to drive everyones cars!

vw7266 Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:28 pm

Ill be showing up friday cant wait to get wasted and stuck in the mud!!

Volkswagenaholic Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:01 pm

I'll be there for my 15th year. I said I wasn't going back with how terrible it was last year with the weather and how the event has gone downhill the past few years. But I just couldn't stay away. Damn my traditions! Wish they would stop with all the insane price gouging of show attendees and bring it back to its roots. I understand as the event grew things got more expensive but cut some things back instead of raping your customers. I for one would gladly give up the always cartoony shirt I never wear again for a reduced rate on other parts of the show.

Sorry rant over. Looking forward to next Friday!

vw7266 Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:52 am

A couple days away

HoustonPhotog Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:16 am

what city is this in for those of us not familiar with it?

website addy?

Thanks

vw7266 Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:18 pm

www.funfestacvw.com

Stanagon Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:42 pm

Effingham, IL

BulliBill Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:40 am

Looking forward to hitting this show again! No matter what the weather forecast, this one is a nice show with a big turnout of VWs to enjoy! I'm trying to decide what I'll be driving over there, but I think I'm down to my '55 Deluxe Sunroof or my '87 Westfalia. We'll be heading over there on Friday afternoon. See ya all there!

Bill Bowman

manxcraig Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:13 am

The buggy's gassed and packed, leaving as soon as my son gets here.

BulliBill Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:14 pm

The Yager family and their energetic staff did another fine job hosting the 16th MAM Funfest for VW this past weekend! Great facility, friendly folks (both staff and attendees), very nice weather with the exception of some late Spring rain showers on Saturday afternoon. Attendance looked like it was way up from last year (which suffered from a bad weather forecast), several cool new VWs debuted at Funfest! Another great time, I won't miss this series of events! Thanks again to Mike and his family and crew for a job very well done!!!

Ya'll sleep in, hell, take the day off tomorrow!!! You guys certainly deserve it!

Bill

Volkswagenaholic Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:57 am

This year was obviously much better than the rained out/tornado threatened show from last year but is still on a decline. This show used to be so much larger before they started charging ridiculous amounts for stuff. I organize shows myself and know there's a lot of expenses and it takes a lot to plan a successful show. However, Charging even spectators $5 to park is insane. Just let people come by. If it's free you'll have a lot more people randomly stopping and perhaps taking an interest. I still enjoy the show but laugh at their prices of parts/show activities. They need to realize how what they've done has affected the attendance.

vw7266 Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:08 am

Volkswagenaholic wrote: This year was obviously much better than the rained out/tornado threatened show from last year but is still on a decline. This show used to be so much larger before they started charging ridiculous amounts for stuff. I organize shows myself and know there's a lot of expenses and it takes a lot to plan a successful show. However, Charging even spectators $5 to park is insane. Just let people come by. If it's free you'll have a lot more people randomly stopping and perhaps taking an interest. I still enjoy the show but laugh at their prices of parts/show activities. They need to realize how what they've done has affected the attendance.

You are obviously never going to be happy with this event

This is by far the most well organized show weekend of the year. They put a ton of cash out to host this and its surely not cheap having a full staff working all weekend 24 hours! You sound like another cheap vw person complaining about $5 parking.

Ill keep coming back!! The swap was killer

Volkswagenaholic Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:22 am

I drove my car and entered it. The $5 parking didn't affect me its just dumb. I've been going to this show for 15 years and have witnessed the decline. The staff is great and the show is well organized. They decided to start charging for the event and raised their parts prices while also lowering the quality. Their parts quality is slowly rising but the costs haven't gotten any better. Their used to be over 1000 cars going to this show. I'd guess 300 or so this year.

icekoffee Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:05 pm

Some of my favorites from the show:

BulliBill Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:24 am

What "icecoffee" said above, many cool cars!

This is the best and most organized (and definitely the most expensive to host) event in the Midwest region. Anyone complaining about costs has not been to many comparable East or West Coast shows. Then you'd really have something to bitch about. I hear you on a few of your points, but the costs charged for running/hosting an event of this caliber is NOT one of them. I think it is very reasonable to charge what they charge for this kind of event. Frankly, I was surprised that for many of the early years they could afford to charge little to nothing for the event and that they shouldered the costs of their event themselves. Anyway, that's just my opinion. By the way, I too have organized and hosted many VW events and know a little about the costs, headaches and risks involved.

Bill Bowman
www.bnnta.com

kingkarmann Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:54 am

I have been to Funfest once. 3-4 years ago. Zoso was the band and a BIG windstorm overnight. Overall I had a great time. The staff worked their butts of for us!
As for costs, in case you have not noticed, the cost of EVERYTHING has and is going up! Why should a carshows, parts and entertainment be any different?