TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1963 23 window bus. Original or Fake?
kapa1524 Thu May 08, 2014 5:09 am

Hi,
I found a 23 window 1963 vw bus for sale. How do I tell that it is original one and not chopped up later to make it one? Would love some feedback on this! Seller wants 75K for it. Good shape with no rust. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

tumisoft Thu May 08, 2014 6:15 am

uncode your M-plate on http://vw-mplate.com/

this could give you an indication of the OG version and options

Stef

EverettB Thu May 08, 2014 9:02 am

Basic stuff that should be there:
The M-code plate should have model 241 and NOT M-code 130
241 = Deluxe
130 = Deluxe but with no sunroof (meaning it's a 15-Window... or 13-Window if 64-67)
The M-code plate VIN # should match the VIN # in the engine compartment.
It should have belly pans underneath:

It should have a clock in the dashboard
And of course all the normal Deluxe stuff like Deluxe trim on the outside, trim around beltline, deluxe bumpers with aluminum trim, and so on.

Pacmanfever Thu May 08, 2014 1:04 pm

EverettB wrote:
It should have belly pans underneath.

What function do belly pans serve? I'm a noob around buses and always wondered about those, but never saw access hatches, etc.

type47fan1 Thu May 08, 2014 1:07 pm

Pacmanfever wrote: EverettB wrote:

What function do belly pans serve? I'm a noob around buses and always wondered about those, but never saw access hatches, etc.

Rigidity.

Pacmanfever Thu May 08, 2014 5:07 pm

type47fan1 wrote: Pacmanfever wrote: EverettB wrote:

Rigidity.

That makes sense for stressed-skin construction, but then why don't they all have them? Especially panels; as they'd likely see more load hauling service than fancy deluxe buses?

joe56vw Thu May 08, 2014 5:23 pm

Pacmanfever wrote: type47fan1 wrote: Pacmanfever wrote: EverettB wrote:

Rigidity.

That makes sense for stressed-skin construction, but then why don't they all have them? Especially panels; as they'd likely see more load hauling service than fancy deluxe buses?

buses are pretty beefy on the support side of things anyone who has cut one up know how much support is in them
but vw felt that sunroof bus and/or double door buses need the extra support of the belly pans

Pacmanfever Thu May 08, 2014 6:25 pm

joe56vw wrote: Pacmanfever wrote: type47fan1 wrote: Pacmanfever wrote: EverettB wrote:

Rigidity.

buses are pretty beefy on the support side of things anyone who has cut one up know how much support is in them
but vw felt that sunroof bus and/or double door buses need the extra support of the belly pans

Thank you both, that makes more sense now.

Clara Fri May 09, 2014 9:42 pm

Pacmanfever wrote: joe56vw wrote: Pacmanfever wrote: type47fan1 wrote: Pacmanfever wrote: EverettB wrote:

Rigidity.

Deluxe buses were people haulers. load 9 people at ? 175Lbs each , plus luggage. It adds up.
If the bus has a sunroof (which is a huge hole) or double doors on both sides, VW gave it a sub floor to make up for the weaker roof or side.

I think it was an option, also. That AA port code bus with the fat M-code plate had it, IIRC; they must have expected some nasty back roads.

EverettB Fri May 09, 2014 10:47 pm

Clara wrote: Pacmanfever wrote: joe56vw wrote: Pacmanfever wrote: type47fan1 wrote: Pacmanfever wrote: EverettB wrote:

Rigidity.

Deluxe buses were people haulers. load 9 people at ? 175Lbs each , plus luggage. It adds up.
If the bus has a sunroof (which is a huge hole) or double doors on both sides, VW gave it a sub floor to make up for the weaker roof or side.

I think it was an option, also. That AA port code bus with the fat M-code plate had it, IIRC; they must have expected some nasty back roads.

Yes, an option. M-code 191
Binz Double Cabs have them too.

tyzel Sat May 10, 2014 9:30 am

Yes it was an option, I once had a early 59 w/t Kombi that had factory belly pans.