TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Front beam
6T5 square Fri May 09, 2014 1:05 pm

afternoon all,

does anyone have a parts diagram for a front beam and the axles for a later model type 3? I recently picked up a free front beam with the disc brakes in a separate bag. the beam is in pieces the torsion bars are in another bag, the axles are in another bag. You get the picture.

I'd like to put the axle back together but I'm not sure if all the parts are there. I'll be installing it in my 65 square- I've always wanted disc brakes but I wanted VW parts.
any help you can give is always appreciated.

Thanks

W1K1 Fri May 09, 2014 1:33 pm

isp west has the part diagrams and part numbers on their website

KTPhil Fri May 09, 2014 1:40 pm

Are those discs drilled for 4- or 5-lug wheels?

6T5 square Fri May 09, 2014 1:57 pm

4 lug

KTPhil Fri May 09, 2014 2:06 pm

6T5 square wrote: 4 lug

Your '65 is 5-lug, right? So you will need two new 4-lug wheels, which won't match your 5-lug rears, unless you fit later drums there.

6T5 square Fri May 09, 2014 5:03 pm

aahhhh Mr. Phil- all my cars are wide 5s! Wheels aren't the problem. I can get 4 lugs anywhere. I'm doing it for the discs-

Yabbadubbadoo Sat May 10, 2014 3:53 am

There was once a link to the parts book somewhere. There were 10 chapters with various headings. I found em once but never again. I thought it was in the FAQ pages.

6T5 square Sat May 10, 2014 4:47 am

you sir, are the bee's knee's

Thanks yabba

ataraxia Sat May 10, 2014 4:57 am

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/type3_parts_book/

Yabbadubbadoo Sat May 10, 2014 5:17 am

ataraxia wrote: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/type3_parts_book/

And that my friends is what we call -
The Ten Commandments of Type 3.

Bobnotch Sat May 10, 2014 7:38 am

Yabbadubbadoo wrote: ataraxia wrote: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/type3_parts_book/

And that my friends is what we call -
The Ten Commandments of Type 3.

I use this one, as I can blow up the pictures. Plus there's all sorts of info that Russ put up.
http://classicvw.org/gallery2/v/partsbook/

Yabbadubbadoo Sat May 10, 2014 8:38 am

My pics were just phone screen grabs cause I can't host the files but the PDFs do seem to scale up just fine.

Also here's a tip for you if you haven't already done it, Download PDF viewer app on your iphone or android and then open the browser in PDF viewer then download the volumes to your app inbox.
You'll then have your parts book everywhere you need it and you can scale up and flick through pages easily instead of opening pictures on your camera roll. How many times I've gone to buy some parts and needed to look it up on the spot. Super handy.

Ps: it's around 200mb in total so you might want to download it on the wifi network if you don't have enough mobile data.

one4house Sat May 10, 2014 3:10 pm

Yabbadubbadoo wrote: My pics were just phone screen grabs cause I can't host the files but the PDFs do seem to scale up just fine.

Also here's a tip for you if you haven't already done it, Download PDF viewer app on your iphone or android and then open the browser in PDF viewer then download the volumes to your app inbox.
You'll then have your parts book everywhere you need it and you can scale up and flick through pages easily instead of opening pictures on your camera roll. How many times I've gone to buy some parts and needed to look it up on the spot. Super handy.

Ps: it's around 200mb in total so you might want to download it on the wifi network if you don't have enough mobile data.

If those instructions were for Bob, I'm pretty sure he has a flip phone go with his dial-up. :-)

Sorry Bob. I couldn't resist.

Bobnotch Sat May 10, 2014 3:59 pm

one4house wrote: Yabbadubbadoo wrote: My pics were just phone screen grabs cause I can't host the files but the PDFs do seem to scale up just fine.

If those instructions were for Bob, I'm pretty sure he has a flip phone go with his dial-up. :-)

Sorry Bob. I couldn't resist.

No problem. I can use AND read a map too. :wink:
Don't need no GPS, to send me down a fire trail in the Oregon woods, or tell me the quick way to Canada is straight INTO Lake Huron (yes both have happened to people). :shock:

But you're right, I do have a flip phone (it's just a damn phone, and that's all I need).

I was just pointing out that not everyone likes to use the PDF style set up (I don't when looking thru the parts book searching for something for someone), as they can be a little finicky. :roll: I've found jpegs load faster for some reason. :roll:

Yabbadubbadoo Sat May 10, 2014 4:03 pm

One4house - If he has then he's probably a lot smarter than the rest of us.
Wish I could unchain myself sometimes from being connected all the time.
Emails on the go - all the time, texts, notifications, alerts, updates. Always looking at the damn screen. Always available and answerable to this little device that has somehow taken over the show and a helluva lot more time than I ever bargained for.
I think I need a hard reset. Thank god for garage time. Phone sits on the bench and just plays tunes for a few hours through an old stereo, it's nothing more than a glorified music box and I am back to reality as I used to know it.