TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: A little more top end for mine 1679cc Page: 1, 2  Next
BoxerGuy_Upnorth Fri May 09, 2014 4:04 pm

Hi.
Have a type 3 with a little tuned engine,
balanced stock crank,also flywheel and pulleys balanced,88mm slip in, ported stock heads, Engle w100 cam,hd single springs,1.1 rockers, and isp west over the top exhaust, 2x 34mm solex pdsit. comp ratio of around 8.5-1

when i drived last time it almost lost the power aroudn 4500rpm i could want that it had power to around 5000-5500rpm.
a little more top end.

Chould i change to a another cam, thinking of the webcam118.
Change to 1.25 rockers for the inlet valves ?
ANY IDEAS YOU COULD HELP ME WITH.

I Now these engine would nott be a screamer but
a little more top end had be fine so i can Drive it and have a little fun these summer. no so much more than 5500-5800rpm since its stock crank.

I would build a little bigger engine next winter but would try to just use this 1688cc this summer.

Thinking of building a 1904cc to the winter. have ordered a 74drd crank.

Regards Trond-Norway :)

BoxerGuy_Upnorth Sat May 10, 2014 6:40 am

Whay do you think og change cam from engle w100 to Norris 330 cam... Do also have 1.25 rocker arms i can put in. In the heads do i just have single Hd springs.
TROND

clonebug Sat May 10, 2014 7:24 am

I have the Engle W-100 cam in my 1679 cc engine and it will rev easily to 5500 rpm.
I do have a turbo on it but with the lift and duration of this cam it should be good to at least 5000. A stock cam revs to 5000 plus with dual carbs.

Is your ignition timing working good??? that would keep it from reving if you aren't getting the advance you need.

How about the exhaust??? Is it restrictive???

bugguy1967 Sat May 10, 2014 7:53 am

If your power is falling off before 5000 RPM, it's going to be either a tuning, exhaust, intake, or head flow problem.

Give us the full specs on your engine. Timing, carburetion, exhaust size and type, valve size, ported/unported?, stock springs/HD springs? Carb jetting, etc.

thechief86 Sat May 10, 2014 9:43 am

My 1679 would easily rev to 6k with a single carb
I had some head work, ported end castings, 110 cam, 1.25 rockers, and a 4 into 1 header. Not super fast, but comparable to a Honda civic or so....

GTV Sat May 10, 2014 10:54 am

Weber 42 DCNF's and 1.25 rockers will do the trick.

AZ1320 Sat May 10, 2014 10:56 am

check timing and make sure it going to full advance. mine is set to 9 degrees initial and swings to dead on 30 degrees. I just put on dual epc 34s, and a merge header with fat boy muffler onto my stock rebuilt 1600 DP and it pulls fairly hard high in the band ( I dot have a tach).

what is the altitude where you live and what are your jets in your carb? because the higher the altitude the fatter the tune will be, there for you have to jet it for more of a lean condition.

what do you have for a distributor? spark scatter is a big problem at high RPMs. a 009 with a phtronix igniter work very well for me and isn't real expensive if you have on can find a cheap 009 distributor, and buy the module separate.

when was the motor rebuilt and was it just a top end or a full rebuild?

modok Sat May 10, 2014 11:40 am

I agree. It is the carburetors that are holding you back.

[email protected] Sat May 10, 2014 12:13 pm

34 PDSITs have something ridiculous like a 22mm venturi. Put some 28s or 30s in there and rejet and it will wake up.

FreeBug Sat May 10, 2014 2:10 pm

What venturi size are you running? the ones from the stock Type 3 is 24 mm, Type 4 engines have 26mm, both of which would be a vast improvement, if you've got 22mm ones. The 28 mm gets fiddly to tune for an engine of that nature, in my limited experience...

BoxerGuy_Upnorth Sat May 10, 2014 3:43 pm

hi,
the egine has got a full overhauling and balancing for around 5000km ago, my altitude is 700m over the sea.
becuse of house and family issues it has been a little car things last years.

the reason i took the engine out for 2 years ago was that it stars misfiring and i sometimes just go with 3 sylinders, took of the heads and could see that there was a crack a one of the heads. these heads was stock 32x35.5 ported heads with around 8,5-1 komp ratio with the 88mm syl.

for the gassers i did write a little wrong, did use 32mm pdsit with 26mm venturies until i took the engine out for some years ago, the 34mm is new now and would be mounted now. would order some stuff from aircooled.net and would order with some 28mm venturies.

I did also use 2xdual weber idf 36mm a while around 5 years ago but i mean it did pull a little slow with them too.. it almost stops pulling around 4500 and go slow uppwards to around 5500prm.
since its pretty cold here in spring and autumn is was a little difficult to start because the stock cooling tin didnt make room for the choke at the IDFs. so we put back the stock pdsit32 ,overhauled them first.

I did use the stock distrubutor with bosch bluecoil.

since i have got daughter number 2 for some months ago, and have some house overhauling issues, and the clock runs from me.

I ordered 2 new L3 heads from DRDracingHeads that would come to me soon. ordered them so i would get around 8,5-1 komp ratio.
They was expensive enough, hope they are good.
Ordered also with some 88mm mashine in top/slip in bottom syl kit.

I do also use the stock heater boxes, had another 1 3/8 exhuast before think it stands thunderbird, but have got a new isp west that are going into now.

for the engle w100 ,can i use 1.25 rockers at maybe the inlet valves with single hd springs.

I did try many diffents set ups with the nossles, timing++

Could there maybe was the crack at the head, that was brake the hole motor so maybe one syl didnt go 100% from around 4500rpm.

is there a much hp gain of change to maybe a little diferent cam to this set up.

but would not change crank so no more than around 5500-5800rpm max.

Would try to build a 1904cc to the winter so this engine is just for this summer. but cool if it go well to.

Regards Trond 8)

Slow 1200 Sun May 11, 2014 4:19 am

what's your distributor?

BoxerGuy_Upnorth Sun May 11, 2014 5:47 am

I have stock distributor with vacuum clock.
There stands 2 nr on it.
0 231 167 049 and vw 113 905 205 AJ

clonebug Sun May 11, 2014 8:10 am

If that is the DVDA distributor you might want to check the advance/retard plate.
I have seen a couple with a lot of play or a loose plate.

You should pull it all the way apart and clean and lube everything. Make sure there are no screws loose holding it together and also check for wear on the moving parts.

AZ1320 Sun May 11, 2014 10:05 pm

I would defiantly take a good look at the distributor and maybe even look into getting something a little more modern.

FreeBug Mon May 12, 2014 1:47 am

I like this combo, I like little engines. Check that you have 30° advance at, say 3500 rpm, or when you see the distributor's mechanical advance is all in, vacuum hoses disconnected, and let the idle timing fall where it does, for now. I would use the 26mm venturis I think you said you have, just need to grind off the little tab for them to fit the 34s. Fit the biggest air jets you have, maybe 175s, and up the mains, and try that. The new heads flow more than those 34s can provide, but I totally understand the need for chokes. That cam is fine for dual singles, maybe Kadrons with chokes would be better suited as concerns flow, though.

BoxerGuy_Upnorth Mon May 12, 2014 7:38 am

In my mind i think i checked the timing pretty well also tryed another distributor when i tryed to get it to go better at the top end for somr years ago.. But i Would check this pretty well now to be sure its ok 100%

Would put the engine together as soon as i get my new heads..
They are flycutted so i would get 8.5-1 comp with 88syl kit.

What do you think for the cam..

Should i just put it together with the Engle w#100.

I do aldo have a engle w110 brand new here at my garage.

Could wanted to tryed a cam with a little less lift and maybe 280-285 duration.
Easyer to finetune with 1.25 Rockers then?
Tell me what you think.

Regards Trond, Norway.

GTV Mon May 12, 2014 11:37 am

FreeBug wrote:
maybe Kadrons with chokes would be better suited as concerns flow, though.

Good luck fitting those in a type 3.

I suggested DCNF's because their short size and design with barrels close together makes them the perfect type 3 carburetor. Not to mention they run beautifully.

BoxerGuy_Upnorth Tue May 13, 2014 12:08 am

what do you think guys, with the new DRD L3 heads 8.5-1 comp ratio.

Would you just go for the ENGLE W100 cam ?

Regards Trond

FreeBug Tue May 13, 2014 5:32 am

Yes, in a type 3, the 100 is better suited to your combo, especially as you are using dual single carbs. I am more an overall fan of the 100, not so fond of the 110, I think if you run it you will loose more of the useable bottom end, without gaining much in the top end, unless you step up to I.R. , and dual springs.

Overall, you should really enjoy it. If cost were no option, I would put in a 74 mm crank, and keep a full-weight flywheel. Everyone here on the Samba will say I'm crazy, stupid, wasteful, etc... but I have my reasons...