TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Repro 55 57 tail lights
Kiwi1966 Sat May 10, 2014 5:03 am

Hi
Has anyone purchased these 55 57 tail lights from Kochs--just wondering what the quality is like http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1443028
Cheers

tasb Sat May 10, 2014 8:53 am

I think those are the most recent production and have been around for awhile. If so the quality and function are fine. It's not hard to tell them from the originals if your trying to fool somebody. They lack the patina of the originals.

mr white Sat May 10, 2014 9:18 am

I was wondwering the same thing. I am curious as to how close the bezel contour is to the original. Its too bad they do not sell a patina looking pair. Nice new ones don't look well on some old buses and trucks!

joe56vw Sat May 10, 2014 9:31 am

mr white wrote: I was wondwering the same thing. I am curious as to how close the bezel contour is to the original. Its too bad they do not sell a patina looking pair. Nice new ones don't look well on some old buses and trucks!

I can bring a set to woodburn for you to look at if you want me to :wink:

pretty sure these are from the some batch and/or person who made the ones I have
I have had several sets and think they are nice and reasonability price for a non-original bus
but would never use them on a nice original one :)

thom Sat May 10, 2014 9:32 am

If those are the same ones that EIS is selling, they're garbage.

These are nice:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=617798

mr white Sat May 10, 2014 9:45 am

Doug in southern Cali makes nice stuff.The eis ones are garbage. Maybe somebody has a pair of the one
Koch sells and could post pics side by side to originals. Thanks again Joe! They are coming along nicely!

Homeresque Sat May 10, 2014 11:32 am

I've sent emails to Ricardo at splitpartsunlimited wanting to buy this taillight set and reflectors but no replys. Anyone know how else to reach him, or if he might show up at OCTO?

EmpiGT Sat May 10, 2014 12:09 pm

mr white wrote: Doug in southern Cali makes nice stuff.The eis ones are garbage. Maybe somebody has a pair of the one
Koch sells and could post pics side by side to originals. Thanks again Joe! They are coming along nicely!
I think the ones Doug is selling are EIS with his own lenses put in them. The bezels on the eis taillights look horrible. Bad contour and crimped edge is really flat.

mr white Sat May 10, 2014 6:27 pm

Its unfortunate that most of the og ones listed on this site need repais for the asking prices. A good portion of them need re hab to be useable. I used to have a pair that Cameron made a long time ago,I think VW trends had a article on his years back. It would be cool if more sources were available for these.

cdennisg Sun May 11, 2014 11:34 am

thom wrote: If those are the same ones that EIS is selling, they're garbage.

They work fine, they fit fine, and if some jackass steals them off your bus in the parking lot, the sting is just a little more bearable. The look OK from 20 feet, and they are good for a daily driver bus.