TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Steering Box Replace
fotoroadie Mon May 19, 2014 1:23 pm

'65 Bus - how high off the ground does the vehicle have to be for the for the steering shaft to clear ?

thanks,
bobby

pyrOman Mon May 19, 2014 2:22 pm

No need to go higher than just ramps. Take the seat out and that will give you enough room to "angle" it out. 8)

fotoroadie Mon May 19, 2014 3:09 pm

pyrOman wrote: No need to go higher than just ramps. Take the seat out and that will give you enough room to "angle" it out. 8)

are u saying jack stands won't do the trick ?

pyrOman Mon May 19, 2014 7:37 pm

I'm saying that you don't have to lift it to nose bleed heights! :|

chrisflstf Mon May 19, 2014 9:05 pm

You are asking if your jack stands are high enough. Try it and see. Take the seat out. Its not a big deal. My guess without the seat is about 16". Most floor jacks are enough.

fotoroadie Tue May 20, 2014 6:00 am

just practicing the safe not sorry mode - 'not a big deal' if it comes right out, if it doesn't & i have to reassemble to get it up on ramps, then pretty painful because of wasted time, at least for me.

pyrOman Tue May 20, 2014 7:16 am

I recently swapped mine inside a half hour. Nothing to it! 8)

fotoroadie Tue May 20, 2014 7:34 am

great, thanks to all.

bobby

otis_bartleh Wed May 21, 2014 12:59 pm

Any suggestions on where to get one from, quality wise? Wolfgang? bus-boys? cip1 (which is BBT brand from Belgium)?

ZENVWDRIVER Wed May 21, 2014 8:31 pm

...depends on the year. Prior to 1957 there was a removable floor plate around the steering column that unfastened and was a hole about 8" long and about 2" wide. I replaced the steering box / steering shaft unit on my '56 double door without having to raise the bus at all. The removal of the said plate allows one to just tilt the unfastened unit and pull the unit out from the bottom with ease...after 1957 or so, VW eliminated that access plate and VW technical info states the bus has to be raised (preferably on a lift) three feet. Again, I have performed that removal on a '67 bus without a lift and 3' is friggin high...not hard, just high.

If I ever have to to the replacement again on a post 1957 bus without the access panel, i'll cut the floor away to make my own (pre 1957) access for a very easy removal and then fabricate a little plate to cover the hole.

I can send or post a picture of the access plate in my 1956 bus for your reference.

joe56vw Wed May 21, 2014 8:41 pm

otis_bartleh wrote: Any suggestions on where to get one from, quality wise? Wolfgang? bus-boys? cip1 (which is BBT brand from Belgium)?

greg aka campingbox rebuilds them also

Z Wed May 21, 2014 10:10 pm

There is at least one thread regarding quality issues from some of the companies that sell 'rebuilt' steering boxes. Search the forum, or maybe someone knows what thread that was in...I didn't find it after a quick search.

If I were buying one now, I'd contact Campingbox.

crukab Thu May 22, 2014 4:03 am

About this high:

DubStyle Thu May 22, 2014 5:14 am

I put my DC up on 3 ton jackstands and pull the box with zero issues.

otis_bartleh Thu May 22, 2014 11:13 am

joe56vw wrote: greg aka campingbox rebuilds them also

Z wrote: ...If I were buying one now, I'd contact Campingbox.

Cool, thanks. I trust Greg, I'll contact him...

Schwing Thu May 22, 2014 11:22 am

cut two 2 x 6's about 8-10" in length and place those on your jack. I jacked it up at the axle and she dropped right out.

Word of warning,
If you have loosened the column already, be careful with that last bolt. Once its loose it drops like a bag of bricks. In other words make sure your head isn't directly underneath it or you're sleeping through the holiday 8)

Z Thu May 22, 2014 11:30 am

Schwing wrote: In other words make sure your head isn't directly underneath it or you're sleeping through the holiday 8)

lol