TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: early case, late mount bar?
Agentwright Thu May 22, 2014 6:44 am

so I am building a 65 notch on a irs pan, i have the hangers, mounts, and mustache bar. but a just realized the case i had bored and opened up is an early case with no place to mount the bar to. am i screwed? is there an adaptor of some sort? on an unrelated note... any body in the market for an early type 3 case opened up for 90.5s? :?

Clatter Thu May 22, 2014 6:50 am

Later so-called "universal" cases have dual oil relief and larger oil passages and a few other things that make them a better choice for a larger motor.

There is a mount, designed for busses, that mounts to the oil pump studs,
but it's so hoakey nobody uses it, and I shouldn't even mention it.

If your case is OG, save it for when you get older and learn to appreciate a correct original car,
Or if you sell it, having the original case is definitely a plus...

Bobnotch Thu May 22, 2014 8:54 am

Clatter wrote: Later so-called "universal" cases have dual oil relief and larger oil passages and a few other things that make them a better choice for a larger motor.

There is a mount, designed for busses, that mounts to the oil pump studs,
but it's so hoakey nobody uses it, and I shouldn't even mention it.

If your case is OG, save it for when you get older and learn to appreciate a correct original car,
Or if you sell it, having the original case is definitely a plus...

Clatter is 100% correct.
There is that bracket used for buses, but I wouldn't use it (that's a lot of weight to hold by the oil pump studs). :shock:
I'd look for either a later case (with the hanger mounts), or a universal case (mag or aluminum).

Agentwright Thu May 22, 2014 8:59 am

this one looks like it mounts to the bottom of the case as well which would make it a lot stronger i would think...http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1548918

d_ross Thu May 22, 2014 9:36 am

That kit appears to be the exact one that the PO used on my 71' bus. I will say this, I had an oil leak from the pump area, which took a little tweaking to correct, and it's all good now. But, I think this mounting bracket is to blame at least partially for that leak. I am keeping a close eye on it as I expect to have to adjust it every so often.

Agentwright Thu May 22, 2014 12:13 pm

I wonder if the upper mount on the fan shroud would help take some of the weight off the oil pump studs, or maybe between the large mount at the bottom of the case and the top fan shroud mount I wonder if that would be enough support for the and I can omit the oil pump studs.

Danwvw Thu May 22, 2014 12:36 pm

I was kind of hoping to see some pictures show up here of the Type 3 "mustache bar" and how it mounts in the car. Just curious: I was looking at these Adaptors too because I found a bug case but for my 1971 Bus, but then I got lucky and found a 1972 Type 3 case which I have had all the machine work done to etc so I can run it in the bus: It's probably what you need. But I am planning on using it in my bus, Here are some photos of the the engine project. Spare Type 1 Engine Machine cost so far.