TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: What would you do? - '76 Westy exhaust issue
TyWebb Thu May 22, 2014 11:06 am

So, I went to change the seals on my pushrod tubes since I had a leak. In order to pull out the rear most pushrod and tube on the 3/4 side I had to remove the EGR filter (I don't believe the filter had ever been removed and I believe the exhaust is original, believe it or not). In attempting to separate the filter from the intermediate exhaust tube (I think that is what it is called) both the EGR filter lower pipe and the EGR outlet from the intermediate tube broke (the metal was very thin from rust. Now I have a gaping hole in the intermediate pipe, and at least a small hole in the EGR pipe. I could probably patch the EGR pipe, but that leaves the hold in the other end.

I loved the sound of the bus prior to this, it was just the stink from all the burnt oil on the heat exchangers and exhaust and lost oil I hated. I have called around to try and source a replacement EGR filter, and they aren't cheap when available, and neither is what I'm calling the intermediate pipe. And if I have to replace both of those, what else is going to break when I try and do that? I'd love to get back to a stock exhaust and sound, but I'm not rich and I don't know you could still source everything anyway.

What would you do? Would you do whatever it takes to find the stock pieces and replace everything? Would you try and plug the EGR output from the intermediate pipe and the EGR input at the tin and hope to do without? Or, would you pull all the stock stuff off and stick a $100 or so extractor on there knowing it would change the sound and potentially performance?

I know this is a subjective question, and I think I have read every exhaust post on TS, but I'm in a bit of a quandary. All I wanted to do was get rid of my oil leak. Geesh.

Anyway, opinions and observations from personal experience are appreciated. Thanks.

jmstu76 Thu May 22, 2014 11:12 am

I would block off both sides of the egr until you find the OG parts you need. Don't do an extractor.

TyWebb Thu May 22, 2014 6:42 pm

Thanks for the response James. That is probably the route I will take, though it is damn tempting to just go the cheap/simple route. My concern really isn't the cost of the two pieces I know I need (though that surely sucks), it's worrying about what else I will have to get because the rest of the system breaks while I'm trying to replace the intermediate pipe.

Manfreds78bay Fri May 23, 2014 2:44 pm

If your exhaust was like mine, you are in a world of hurt.

Wildthings Fri May 23, 2014 4:41 pm

Talk to your local muffler shop and see what they can do for you.

ned Sat May 24, 2014 6:44 am

One thing I have learned" Its not gonna be any cheaper next year".

73sports Sun May 25, 2014 8:41 pm

Unless you have to have the EGR functional for an emission test, I'd go and get the two holes welded shut and be done. I'm currently working on repairing rusted out flanges and pipes on a 77. If everything else is still sealed, don't mess with it!

Wasted youth Sun May 25, 2014 10:13 pm

Mine was removed, with the tubing bent over flat. I need that to pass the California smog check, so I bought this:

http://www.busdepot.com/021131617f

Barring that, can you weld? If so, make up some flanges and weld a connecting tube from the EGR filter tap from the exhaust to the EGR valve until you can find an EGR filter.

Barring that, do what my P.O. did...tightly fold over the last inch of the tubing on either end, and go on about your day as you shitcan your dead EGR valve on your way into the house.

aerosurfer Mon May 26, 2014 5:31 am

Dont know if it helps, but I have the adapter from the EGR filter to the exhaust, cut off from an extractor exhaust when I added an O2 bung, as well as an EGR to valve piper with good ends as well

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1627459

and

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1482225

TyWebb Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:34 pm

Just if anyone is interested, here is how this turned out. I decided to go back as close to stock as possible. My old muffler has a few pin holes on it, but is otherwise solid, so I figured I could get a few more years out of it. I went ahead and purchased the aftermarket EGR filter that is now available from a couple vendors. I got mine from Bus Depot. It wasn't cheap, but looks like a good part. I also purchased the exhaust elbow (which I was incorrectly referring to as the intermediate pipe) and got that from CIP1. It also looked like a good part, and I caught it on sale and with free shipping. These two parts with shipping (bd) came in around $250.

They were both painted grey in what looked like a higher quality paint than I am used to seeing on exhaust stuff (though they were different paints). The general consensus is to strip the paint off exhaust parts and repaint with high temp paint. It looked like it was going to be a pain in the ass and since I haven't had the use of my bus all summer I decided to just throw them on there, then pull them back off after the paint had burned off, and then paint them with the high temp stuff.

The first part was getting everything back together. I finally got through my pushrod tube seal installation. I must say I nearly gave up after the 3/4 side. Almost impossible to remove without tearing up the tubes and even then it was a hell of a job. The 1/2 side was a snap. Guess because it does not get as hot. Anyway, got that all done and very happy with results then went about the exhaust. Actually got everything else apart without causing more damage. I had to cut through maybe 4 bolts with my reciprocating saw, but was able to get the rest loose. I had to fabricate a gasket for the EGR filter where it attaches to the exhaust elbow. I did that out of exhaust material with a steel core from Amazon. I just drilled the holes with a jig I made to sandwich the material between steel and wood, then cut out the perimeter with shop scissors similar to tin snips. I also fabricated an exhaust gasket between the elbow and eliminator tube with the same stuff. Had to cut the larger hole with a hole saw and that worked fine.

Putting things back together the EGR filter did not line up well, but putting everything together very loosely and then tightening it down cranked everything together fine. I think that is pretty common though. I did replace the two studs that came with the EGR filter with longer, stronger bolts.

I got it back together in time to take my bus, a '76 Deluxe Campmobile, on a 400+ mile camping/whitewater kayaking trip to Kentucky with a buddy two weekends ago. Bus ran like a champ. 18+ mpg and 65-70 mph most of the way. Took the hills well too.

And here is the kicker of this all. The paint on the two new exhaust pieces DID NOT BURN OFF. I don't know why. Maybe this grey paint is a high heat paint? Don't know. I am sure the parts were dipped, not sprayed, but that's probably a convenience thing. Anyway, at this point I am very happy with both parts and glad I went this route. And glad I didn't remove this paint. It may still burn off, or may rust as is, but for now it still looks good and didn't smell much at all while running (and none at all after the first 20 minutes or so).

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but hopefully this helps someone else who ends up in my situation. No oil leaks on the way either. I'm so happy.

eche_bus Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:10 am

It was really great to learn this turned out so well. When I saw you'd bought the aftermarket EGR filter and elbow, I thought for sure the next thing would be you fighting with and bending it like WastedYouth did.

Happy campering!