TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: questions on registering a baja in utah.
brs1997 Fri May 23, 2014 9:59 am

okay i took my baja up to get a saftey inspection and the guy said he would not pass me because the motor was not covered the bumber was not wide enough (has to be the width of the car) and a bunch of other stupid things. does your motor on a baja really have to be covered?

QurtysLyn Fri May 23, 2014 10:21 am

Nope. Does not have to be covered. We've had multiple Baja's registered without issue.

Where did you go?

utahclaimjumper Fri May 23, 2014 12:28 pm

Move on down to some other inspection station, my Baja has no engine cover(not required) and the rear bumper only covers the width of the engine and exhaust, never a problem.>>>Dan--Cedar city

QurtysLyn Fri May 23, 2014 12:52 pm

Out bumpers only extend to the width of the engine bay as well.

Dan, come out to the Race next Saturday. We'll be down in Cedar City working a checkpoint.

brs1997 Fri May 23, 2014 1:12 pm

i live up here in ogden i have taken it to 3 diferent places and one guy said it had to have heater and air condition. And i told the people that they dont make engine covers for baja's all he told me was "thats not my problem". one place went through and said it would cost another $1000 to just make it where he could pass it.

QurtysLyn Fri May 23, 2014 3:01 pm

They're full of it. Heater and AC are not required.

Got any pics of the bumper and rear of the car?

QurtysLyn Fri May 23, 2014 3:12 pm

Try BuggCraft in Ogden.

utahclaimjumper Sat May 24, 2014 6:44 am

QurtysLyn, Thanks for the invite, I know of no race on Saturday in Cedar, wise me up.>>>Dan

QurtysLyn Sat May 24, 2014 8:37 am

SNORE (Southern Nevada OffRoad Racing Enterprises) is holding an offroad race in Cedar, first time ever. BOR (Bonneville Offroad Racing) is sending down some volunteers (that'd be us) from Salt Lake to help out.

You can find out more about it here, http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/threads/cedar-city-grand-prix.114957/ . It's going to be awesome. If you want, you could probably come work the checkpoint with us on Saturday, I'd just have to get your name on the Volunteer list.

utahclaimjumper Sat May 24, 2014 9:30 am

Cameron, I live two blocks west of the corner of Hwy56 & Lund Hwy. I know the three peaks area and used to work the pits for SCORE at the BAJA 500 & 1000 in the "old" days (1970s), We raced unlimited bikes back then.
I am interested in helping out at this event, my mostly daily driver is a 72/1600 DP BAJA (my third over the years) :D >>>Dan

QurtysLyn Sat May 24, 2014 9:35 am

Cameron's my dad. :lol: My name's Curtis, but I get called by my dad's name all the time.

Send me a PM with your full name, and I'll put you on our list for our checkpoint. There's five of us coming down from Salt Lake, should be a good time.

I Ride Sand Mon May 26, 2014 8:21 pm

brs1997 wrote: i live up here in ogden i have taken it to 3 diferent places and one guy said it had to have heater and air condition. And i told the people that they dont make engine covers for baja's all he told me was "thats not my problem". one place went through and said it would cost another $1000 to just make it where he could pass it.

What?!?! I live in Brigham and have studied the saftey inspection manual THOROUGHLY. I can tell you that the full width bumper is necessary, however the heater, a/c, and engine cover are NOT required. there will be no emissions for vehicles built '67 and earlier. The drivers side window will need to roll down. must have some sort of muffler, all the lights, windshield, windsheild wipers AND washer, horn, two mirrors, all four brakes in good shape, good tires, and seatbelts. some places may require mudflaps. beyond that, you should be golden.

If they fail you on something that seems fishy, call them out on it and DEMAND that they show you where it states that in the manual. If they wont, talk to the manager, if they still wont show you, contact highway patrol. they are the dudes that regulate the saftey inspection stations and will revoke their licence for that bullsh**.

If you need some more help, PM me.

utahclaimjumper Tue May 27, 2014 1:50 pm

The "full width bumper" IS required,,, BUT rarely enforced, no one (but the pricks) really care on iron this old.>>>Dan

I Ride Sand Tue May 27, 2014 5:07 pm

utahclaimjumper wrote: The "full width bumper" IS required,,, BUT rarely enforced, no one (but the pricks) really care on iron this old.>>>Dan

Yep, and I saw the pics of the baha in question, and it should be fine. It sounds like some inspection stations are taking OP for a fool and want to make some money! I had the local Big O tire do something similar. My little sister brought her car in for an inspection and told her that both of her rear tires (that were less than a month old) had the tread separating. they failed her inspection because of it. So, I checked them out and found they were fine. I took it back and the same guy reinspected the car and failed them again. I asked him to show me where... yeah, gave me the runaround. I told him he was full of it, and to pass the car or UHP would be there pronto. 6,000 miles later, the tires were an ounce out compared to the previous balance because of a panic stop to avoid a deer, and still just fine. moral of the story: some stations suck. find a better one.

06_cummins Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:38 pm

in utah, if your vehicle is 30 years or older you can register it as a vintage vehicle... exempt from safety and emissions :-) just got mine done a few weeks ago.

About This Plate

This plate identifies a vehicle at least 30 years old, is primarily a collector's item, and used for participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, occasional transportation and similar uses, but is not used for general daily transportation. This plate may be personalized with up to 5 alphanumeric characters by submitting Form TC-817 with the required personalization fee. A vintage vehicle, as defined in Utah Code 41-21-1, qualifies for an exemption from safety and emission inspections.

Requirements:

$15 Special Plate Fee
No Annual Contribution
Identifiable into one of two categories:
30 year vintage vehicles: 30-39 years old
40 year vintage vehicles: 40 years and older

http://dmv.utah.gov/vehicles-services-menu/license-plates/special-group-plates#vintagevehicle

Brian Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:57 pm

Oh to be young and taken advantage of.

06_cummins Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:08 am

Brian wrote: Oh to be young and taken advantage of.

??? What???

Brian Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:18 am

The dmv is just putting him through hoops

cbeck Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:49 pm

I drove mine half way across the state. The pricks at south stl county were to busy telling me why they can't- the sweetheart in rolla told me exactly what to bring.