TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Axle bolt/ bearing question
electronictofu Mon May 26, 2014 7:16 pm

The axle bolt doesn't seem to thread in all the way, it needs to go another 1/8" or so, give or take. I thought I tapped in the axle bearing as far as it would go. Pull it apart and check the bearing perhaps? This is a type 1 swing long axle. The passenger side is fine, but the driver side as shown, is giving me a stink... any tips... would rock.

Eric&Barb Mon May 26, 2014 7:29 pm

That is a nut.

Try taking off the rim and see if the drum is seating down to the backing plate properly.

joe56vw Mon May 26, 2014 7:54 pm

I know you were having issues getting the right brake/drum combo for this

so did you get the right bearing cap for the combo that you went with?

when you torqued the axle nut it should have moved the bearing into place if it wasn't already but the wrong bearing cap would not let the drum fit on all the way

electronictofu Tue May 27, 2014 10:09 am

joe56vw wrote: I know you were having issues getting the right brake/drum combo for this

when you torqued the axle nut it should have moved the bearing into place if it wasn't already but the wrong bearing cap would not let the drum fit on all the way

Yeah goofy thing. The pair of bearing cover plates were matching and no issues with the driver side. Maybe the drum didn't seat all the way? I was hoping the axle nut would drive it that last little bit. It still may, I just dont want to force or strip it. It felt like it wasn't going to budge.

mandraks Tue May 27, 2014 11:18 am

electronictofu wrote: joe56vw wrote: I know you were having issues getting the right brake/drum combo for this

Yeah goofy thing. The pair of bearing cover plates were matching and no issues with the driver side. Maybe the drum didn't seat all the way? I was hoping the axle nut would drive it that last little bit. It still may, I just dont want to force or strip it. It felt like it wasn't going to budge.

this looks like you have a ways to go towards seating the drum, maybe your brake shoes interfere? back them of some?