TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Engine Identification Help
Calvatron Tue May 27, 2014 9:11 am

Hi guys! I picked up a type 3 engine on craigslist that some guy just wanted to get rid of a few months ago, and since I've never rebuilt an engine before, I figured I'd try and give it a shot on this one. Problem is, I'm not sure what I have. I have a few pictures here, not sure if the codes are just for the parts or what.

This is on the little plastic cap in the middle of the fan.

This is a little tag. There's one on both carbs. I've never seen this before. What's the deal with it?

I cleaned off the center on the case where everyone says I should be looking for my engine code, but after scrubbing off all of the nastiness, I've found that there's nothing stamped there. Is there somewhere else I should look?

Not sure if this helps or not, but the carbs are six volt and it's a single port. If anyone can give me a hand identifying this, I'd be super appreciative. Trying to make this as much of a learning experience as I can!

Nate M. Tue May 27, 2014 5:04 pm

In that last photo, clean the area 2 bolts to the LEFT and see if the number is under there. It's along the spine of the case, just more to the aft end.