TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Blow through vs draw through - carb?
Volks Wagen Wed May 28, 2014 10:00 am

Hi,

Can someone tell me what features make a carb suitable for blow through operation vs draw through operation in a forced induction system. Can any of the Solex PICT carbs be used in such a system?

Thanks.

miniman82 Wed May 28, 2014 4:17 pm

Any carb can be used in either system, how much you wanna work at it to make it drive like you want? I gave up long ago and went EFI, never looking back.

stevensj13 Wed May 28, 2014 5:39 pm

I believe clonebug used a Solex 34 PICT in a blow thru setup for a while by sealing the throttle shafts with O rings and boost referencing the fuel pump. Originally changing jets but eventually he added a piece of fuel line to the bowl vent and ended up back at or near stock jets if I remember correctly. I'm planning on running a blow-thru setup with either the 31 PICT currently on my bug or a 34 I have in a box on a shelf.

clonebug Wed May 28, 2014 9:12 pm

stevensj13 wrote: I believe clonebug used a Solex 34 PICT in a blow thru setup for a while by sealing the throttle shafts with O rings and boost referencing the fuel pump. Originally changing jets but eventually he added a piece of fuel line to the bowl vent and ended up back at or near stock jets if I remember correctly. I'm planning on running a blow-thru setup with either the 31 PICT currently on my bug or a 34 I have in a box on a shelf.

O-ring the carb shafts and o-ring the fuel pump rod. Also boost reference the fuel pump if it is the stock mechanical one. Then work on jetting to make it run on boost.
Pics of how I did it are still in my build but might not be there forever since my Photobucket account is getting full and I need to purge some pictures.

You will need 008 o-rings and 011 o-rings. They are cheap at www.oringsandmore.com

AlteWagen Wed May 28, 2014 10:19 pm

clonebug wrote: Pics of how I did it are still in my build but might not be there forever since my Photobucket account is getting full and I need to purge some pictures.

Ah, future useless threads. This is the reason anyone sharing information should post pics to TheSamba gallery so post will continue to be useful in the future

clonebug Thu May 29, 2014 6:14 am

AlteWagen wrote: clonebug wrote: Pics of how I did it are still in my build but might not be there forever since my Photobucket account is getting full and I need to purge some pictures.

Ah, future useless threads. This is the reason anyone sharing information should post pics to TheSamba gallery so post will continue to be useful in the future

Ah.... but carbs are sooo yesterday....... :wink:

Just like distributors..........

Besides....I have no thread on theSamba.