TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: FI to Carbs. Glad I made the switch...
joey1320 Wed May 28, 2014 6:58 pm

Well after so many wasted hours of testing, swapping, cleaning, cursing and overall total anger, I took the bait and bought the CP Performance Dual Webber Kit.

I gotta say the install manual that came with it was kind of useless, due to the horrid print quality of the text and graphics, but the kit was somewhat easy to figure out and with a few google/samba searches, I installed it on Saturday.

I had taken out the engine a few weeks back and brought a spare trans from my brother's house. Mounted the trans w/starter to the engine, ran a fuel supply, grabbed an old battery and 3 spins of the starter later the engine was up and running with no issues other than a high idle.

Now mind you, I had to tow the car last November to the storage location because the engine would not idle worth a shit. I must had spend over 3hrs. then, trying to figure out why it didn't idle. Then this spring, I went back and wasted a few more hours doing all the normal checks, fuel pressure, fuel flow, injector spray pattern, spark plugs, ignition, blah blah blah. I then towed the car back home.

So I removed the engine from the car. Removed all the FI components. Didn't do anything else. Nothing at all. I just removed the FI stuff, installed the Webber kit and fired it up. And again, it ran great besides the high idle. I let the engine run for about 10min. adjusted the idle screws and it ran for another 15min. I went out today and with the battery almost dead, it turned over and still ran great.

So what's the point of this rant???
Just wanted to say if you're having nightmares with your FI setup like I was and would rather drive the car and enjoy it, then maybe consider a carb kit. Is it for everybody? Nope. The purists will keep the FI setup and I admire them for it. But for me, it was either a new $420 harness or a $25 carb kit. I went for the carb kit and I'm glad I did.

This is not about what's best, just what worked for me. I just wish I had done it last year since I only got to drive the car 3 times due to all the intermittent FI issues. I really didn't trust the car to take it on any major drives.

Thanks Bobnotch for giving the info on the carb kit :wink:

KTPhil Thu May 29, 2014 8:21 am

joey1320 wrote: But for me, it was either a new $420 harness or a $25 carb kit.

So you are saying that you bought two carbs, two manifolds, air cleaner(s)and all the linkage parts for $25?

Their website lists Type-3 kits for $4-800 on sale.

joey1320 Thu May 29, 2014 9:42 am

KTPhil wrote: joey1320 wrote: But for me, it was either a new $420 harness or a $25 carb kit.

So you are saying that you bought two carbs, two manifolds, air cleaner(s)and all the linkage parts for $25?

Their website lists Type-3 kits for $4-800 on sale.

Ooops should had read $425 shipped. My bad!!

KTPhil Thu May 29, 2014 10:25 am

Ok, though you probably crashed CB's website as Samba members rushed to place their orders!

Just me, but at even money I'd have gone for the new harness. But then everybody who knows me already knows that.

Are you selling or keeping your FI parts?

joey1320 Thu May 29, 2014 11:38 am

KTPhil wrote: Ok, though you probably crashed CB's website as Samba members rushed to place their orders!

Just me, but at even money I'd have gone for the new harness. But then everybody who knows me already knows that.

Are you selling or keeping your FI parts?

I understand amigo. Once more, this is not about what's best for everybody but what was best for me. I also wanted to let people know that the CB Performance kit is a good unit, if they decide to make the switch.

I'm planning on selling it. If interested please pm me.

Tram Thu May 29, 2014 12:37 pm

If it works for you, it works for you. I would keep the FI parts with the car, though. It will sweeten the pot when you go to sell.

I'm not adverse to mods that can be easily reversed.

fuhq64 Thu May 29, 2014 2:42 pm

I'm glad to hear that someone has gotten their car running no matter what it takes to get there. I spent a good but of time over the winter sorting out the different wiring probs with my FI system & I'm glad I did. If it had came down to replacing the harness I likely would have ventured to carbs myself. This past weekend I complete a 300 mile round trip to a show with no FI probs. Do I anticipate that there will be probs? Absolutely. But I'll enjoy it while it lasts. It starts hard after it's warmed up but that's the only thing so far. Maybe since we're both from Ohio we'll bump into each other at a show :wink:

Salty Fri May 30, 2014 2:28 am

I think people should keep their original FI and retrofit megasquirt - it's a great way to stay looking OG

Willo357 Fri May 30, 2014 5:21 am

Salty wrote: I think people should keep their original FI and retrofit megasquirt - it's a great way to stay looking OG

yeh I run my mrs fasty with stock injectors and coil on megasquirt, it's auto and drives super smooth

KTPhil Fri May 30, 2014 8:11 am

joey1320 wrote: I understand amigo. Once more, this is not about what's best for everybody but what was best for me. I also wanted to let people know that the CB Performance kit is a good unit, if they decide to make the switch.

What specific kit number? They have more than one. The info might be elsewhere but it might be handy for a later reader to have it here.

Bobnotch Fri May 30, 2014 12:29 pm

joey1320 wrote: Well after so many wasted hours of testing, swapping, cleaning, cursing and overall total anger, I took the bait and bought the CP Performance Dual Webber Kit.

I gotta say the install manual that came with it was kind of useless, due to the horrid print quality of the text and graphics, but the kit was somewhat easy to figure out and with a few google/samba searches, I installed it on Saturday.

I had taken out the engine a few weeks back and brought a spare trans from my brother's house. Mounted the trans w/starter to the engine, ran a fuel supply, grabbed an old battery and 3 spins of the starter later the engine was up and running with no issues other than a high idle.

Now mind you, I had to tow the car last November to the storage location because the engine would not idle worth a shit. I must had spend over 3hrs. then, trying to figure out why it didn't idle. Then this spring, I went back and wasted a few more hours doing all the normal checks, fuel pressure, fuel flow, injector spray pattern, spark plugs, ignition, blah blah blah. I then towed the car back home.

So I removed the engine from the car. Removed all the FI components. Didn't do anything else. Nothing at all. I just removed the FI stuff, installed the Webber kit and fired it up. And again, it ran great besides the high idle. I let the engine run for about 10min. adjusted the idle screws and it ran for another 15min. I went out today and with the battery almost dead, it turned over and still ran great.

So what's the point of this rant???
Just wanted to say if you're having nightmares with your FI setup like I was and would rather drive the car and enjoy it, then maybe consider a carb kit. Is it for everybody? Nope. The purists will keep the FI setup and I admire them for it. But for me, it was either a new $420 harness or a $425 carb kit. I went for the carb kit and I'm glad I did.

This is not about what's best, just what worked for me. I just wish I had done it last year since I only got to drive the car 3 times due to all the intermittent FI issues. I really didn't trust the car to take it on any major drives.

Thanks Bobnotch for giving the info on the carb kit :wink:

I'm glad it worked out for you. 8)

I too have had issues with the FI that I couldn't seem to cure, and other times it works just like it was designed to. :roll: No rhyme or reason either, just that some work good, and others don't. And it can drive you crazy too.

joey1320 Sat May 31, 2014 8:13 am

KTPhil wrote: joey1320 wrote: I understand amigo. Once more, this is not about what's best for everybody but what was best for me. I also wanted to let people know that the CB Performance kit is a good unit, if they decide to make the switch.

What specific kit number? They have more than one. The info might be elsewhere but it might be handy for a later reader to have it here.

I used the 6430 kit. $399 list price plus $26 shipping to Ohio.
http://www.cbperformance.com/mobile/product.aspx?ProductCode=6430

I plan on installing the engine back in the square today and hopefully take it for a quick spin tomorrow - I have no fenders on it at the moment ha.

But again, it ran great on the floor and I have started it a few more times with no issues. I just got my low pressurr pump, so I have all I need to get it going.

;)