TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Need Help with Gas Tank Fuel Gauge Sending Unit ?????
topache Thu May 29, 2014 5:17 am

Hello All. Just bought a Dune Buggy. 1961 chassis with 1970 1600 cc dual port bus motor with 1970 Empi Imp Body. Gotta say I'm loving it!!!!!

It came with a bunch of gauges that aren't hooked up. I've manage to sort through some of the wiring and got the Tach and Volt Meter and all the guage lights working (these are the easy ones, lol).

What's left - Gas, Oil Temp and Pressure. They are Phantom Autometer Guages.

I craweled under her and see the gas line on the bottom of the gas tank, but no wires. How do I know if and where the sending unit is? Do I even have one? Can a newer guage that has 2 wires be used? Little confused, sorry.

Also for the oil stuff. I have what looks like a oil switch on the side of the engine that has a electrical male end on it that is not hooked up. Is this the stock pressure switch? If so, can I use this. My sending unit for the Temp is a pretty big probe not sure I where to put this or if I need a adaptor or something....

Thanks in advance...

coad Thu May 29, 2014 6:49 am

You're going to need to post a photo of the tank. 61 beetle tanks had mechanical gauges (if they had a gauge at all, maybe it's just the reserve lever), 70 would be electric, but who knows what they grabbed out of the junkyard when they assembled your car.

Quote: I craweled under her and see the gas line on the bottom of the gas tank, but no wires.

The sender (if it's a VW tank) would be on the top. There were several different styles. Look at this photo--your sender (if you have one) would be where that round dimple in the center is:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1042404

jspbtown Fri May 30, 2014 10:48 am

And remember...the guage has to be correct for the send (or vice versa).

Fuel gauges operate on specific ohm ranges. A mis=matched gauge/sender combo will not work.

Also, with a fiberglass buggy the tank has to be grounded.