TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Berrien buggy replacement frame horns
m.abbadessa Thu May 29, 2014 1:56 pm

I cracked a frame horn pretty bad on my sand rail. I'm currently thinking about purchasing the berrien buggy frame horn replacement kit. Has anyone heard anything good or bad about this particular kit? Are there any other kits out there? I have always had bad luck with my swing axle boots getting pinched by the frame horns when the suspension is at full droop. I'm hoping that this berrien kit will fix this problem also! Any advice is much appreciated.
Thx

stooge57 Thu May 29, 2014 4:47 pm

http://www.appletreeauto.com/CUSTOM-TORSION-HORNS-A2009/

Looks similar - no experience with them though

Vanapplebomb Thu May 29, 2014 5:26 pm

Both the Berrien Buggy and AppletreeAuto replacements are quality units. Either one will probably be stronger than the stock stamped steep frame horns.

JabaDubRider Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:57 am

I put the Berrien horns on mine when I did my swap from swing to IRS. I would be speculating but I think it will improve swing axle boot clearance as they have a smaller profile. As for how good they are. The kit I bought was purchased when Berrien was Berrien. I hate to say Anything bad about Acme because they are keeping the brand alive but they seem to be more about the money. I have started questioning the quality of the items that Acme is producing under the Berrien name. They have more of a mass produced feel and look to them. Maybe I'm being a stickler about them but I just felt the old man was producing better products.

About Appletree's units, They I have helped install two sets of these and two times they have required some grinding and manipulation to make correct if you have a stock vw rear torsion. I think they are made for a custom rear torsion or something.

Check out My sig link for my IRS Swap thread.

With all that said.... Either one I feel will be a huge improvement over the stock style stamped metal frame horns.

Sorry I added in a little gripe about ACME, I'm just not impressed with there drive for the hobby since taking the Berrien name.

Check out my SIG Link for my IRS swap thread!

m.abbadessa Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:52 am

Thanks for all the info. Hopefully I will have them soon and be back on the road.

impaleale Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:29 pm

I used the berrian or what ever the spelling is. Good quality. Pretty straight forward on how to install on a rail. I put mine on my buggy. Get the metal good and bright. Measure 4 times cut off old ones. Measure 10 times tack new one on. Measure more, drink a beer and weld. Once done repeat.

dustymojave Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:30 pm

After following the instructions above, then add braces from the junction of the top side rail with the cross tube above the bell housing. Make sure they will clear your headers and bell housing before you weld the braces in.