TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: looking for a brake rebuild kit for 61 double cab
dustadoom2 Thu May 29, 2014 7:05 pm

I recently purchased a double cab that has been sitting for the past 25 years or so and before I drive it I want to replace the brake system on it. I'd like to get a complete kit to do this, but so far have only been able to find individual pieces. Anyone know where to look? thanks

BulliBill Thu May 29, 2014 9:20 pm

I don't think anyone sells a complete "kit". What is the problem? Just go to WW and order up the master cylinder, a reservoir to M/C seal(s), all six wheel cylinders, four new rubber brake hoses, front and rear brake shoe sets and maybe spring hardware sets. If your metal lines are bad, order up one of those sets too. The good quality stuff will cost around $400 to $500, but what is your (and your loved ones) lives worth? Get the good stuff!

Make sure you old Bus can safely "stop" before you try to make it "go".

Bill

joe56vw Thu May 29, 2014 9:25 pm

BulliBill wrote: I don't think anyone sells a complete "kit". What is the problem? Just go to WW and order up the master cylinder, a reservoir to M/C seal(s), all six wheel cylinders, four new rubber brake hoses, front and rear brake shoe sets and maybe spring hardware sets. If your metal lines are bad, order up one of those sets too. The good quality stuff will cost around $400 to $500, but what is your (and your loved ones) lives worth? Get the good stuff!

Make sure you old Bus can safely "stop" before you try to make it "go".

Bill

Agree but i just ordered all new brakes and $400 was about what just the fronts cost :shock: wheel cylinders and mc are getting $$$

Wolfsburgwest is good because it has that diagram you can just click on what part you need instead of searching thru a big list of stuff :wink:

j.pickens Thu May 29, 2014 10:22 pm

Add new front wheel bearings and check the tie rods, draglink, center pin, link pins and steering box while you're at it.

Damn, sure gets expensive fast, don't it?

Culito Thu May 29, 2014 10:42 pm

j.pickens wrote: Add new front wheel bearings and check the tie rods, draglink, center pin, link pins and steering box while you're at it.

Damn, sure gets expensive fast, don't it?
Better toss in the rear axle seal kits too...

BarryL Fri May 30, 2014 8:14 am

j.pickens wrote: Damn, sure gets expensive fast, don't it?

Haha true that. Can still freshen them up with quality parts which is so nice. My dad once said to me after watching me do all the work, "Looks like you basically jacked it up and slid in a new one under it".

kenshapiro2002 Fri May 30, 2014 9:46 am

The "kit" idea is great. Clarks Corvair Parts does various levels of "kits" for brakes, suspension, steering, clutches, etc. that makes things easier and cheaper. I know it's irrelevant to us, but their hardcopy catalog is such a treat to order from and learn from. I wish somebody like WW would copy what Clarks has been doing for over 30 years...it's a great resource.

dustadoom2 Sat May 31, 2014 12:16 am

thanks for responses. i was hoping to find a kit because i usual forget to buy one or two important parts when buying piece by piece and don't want to have brakes torn apart for days waiting for the parts i forgot. ill check the ww site out and see what they have