TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Shimmering oil
Tom_Kathleen Sat May 31, 2014 7:47 am

I just drained the break in oil out of my fresh 2007 cc engine. The engine was started with conventional oil with ZDPP additive for the 20 min @ 1800 RPM run. That oil looked OK. This oil is high ZDPP with @ 400 miles on it. The magnetic drain plug had nothing on it, so I am assuming the shimmer is Aluminum particles. The engine has tool steel lifters. The engine sounds great and has plenty of power. Does this thing have to come apart? Thanks in advance. Tom

Glenn Sat May 31, 2014 7:54 am

Most likely normal breakin.

As long as there's no chunks, you should be OK.

Tom_Kathleen Sat May 31, 2014 8:05 am

No chunks, and it is going to continue getting high ZDPP oil. Thanks Glen

Dale M. Sat May 31, 2014 8:36 am

Next oil change will tell....

Dale

mark tucker Sat May 31, 2014 8:42 am

probably ok.but too high zdpp can cause chamber deposits&detonation.so go easy on it. and change atleast your filter offten so it dosent get cloged ,then the bypass opens inside the filter and you have no oil filteration at all.I usualy have done 5 oil/filter changes by time I get to 400 miles. the caam lube will clog a filter in a very short time, thats probably what your seeing as the filter is possiably bypassing it already and your seeing the unfiltered cam lube the filter can no longer trap.

Tom_Kathleen Sat May 31, 2014 9:04 am

Thanks guys, by high ZDPP, I mean @ 1200 PPM, not the 3000 - 4000 PPM oil that is out there. Tom

MURZI Sat May 31, 2014 9:30 am

I always cut the filter open after initial breakin to check for "stuff".

gears Sat May 31, 2014 9:40 am

A uniform, non-magnetic shimmer is most likely the moly used for cam break-in. Aluminum particles would be larger, and pretty easy to identify as aluminum.

mark tucker Sat May 31, 2014 10:39 am

MURZI wrote: I always cut the filter open after initial breakin to check for "stuff". I had a "friend" that was a "engine builder" he did that ...with a hacksaw....didnt have a clue as to what he was looking for or at....but he did read about it. I comented about all the filter filings from the hacksaw....the next time I saw him he had a expensive can opener type....that he broke the first time he tried to use it. what a joke but he was a "nascar engine builder" in his mind.oh the shit I saw him effup& couldent explain to him what he just did.kinda like the nobody home syndrome. just another horror story in the making.but weve all seen worse,much worse.

MURZI Sat May 31, 2014 10:51 am

Yea you have to have the "right tool".... I do.

mark tucker Sat May 31, 2014 10:58 am

mines electrick...in the kitchen. :shock: :roll: on another note I do remember a guy that built his 390 ford fe motor, the block wasent bored all the way down the cylinders so there was a sharp ridge at the bottom...lotsa aluminum shavings in the oil once they pull started the motor in the cyclone.( I think it was a cyclone it was over 30 years ago, might of been some odd ball name ford/mercury they used for nascar back in the late 60's,it was a swoopy body for a ford.)

57 Rag Sat May 31, 2014 12:22 pm

Even if you do see some shavings and tiny lil pieces dont panic. Ive seen lots of new motors with "shuff" in the oil and their still hammering on um til this day. One of my motors was built by a super reputable builder here whose been building and racing VWs from the late 70s. I drained the oil after the first breakin and there was lil shavings and slivers. I paniced and went down to his shop. He laughed and said "you'll be fine". Drove that motor very hard and later sold it for an upgrade. Last I saw it, it still was driving around 7 years later.

Tom_Kathleen Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:53 pm

Just wanted to post a follow up on this condition. I drove the engine for @ 800 miles, changed oil, looked OK and then left for a long trip. Put @ 2500 miles on the engine http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=576371 , changed oil when the trip was over, and everything still looks OK. Engine runs great and sounds good. Thanks for the advise. Tom