TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: distributor shaft jumps
jefboy Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:51 am

Ok I am stumped.The distributor drive shaft is jumping as I roll the motor by hand.Please advise me why and how to fix it.2332 all new,

Googlestein Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:15 am

I'm just going to help the regular Samba master minds...

Is this a complete new build YOU built, bought, had running?

If you did just build this motor, did you set your distributor drive gear while the case was open? Did you select the proper gear lash / washer configuration?

More info or a link to a build thread would be nice, can't work with little info and get correct results.

Just trying to help

jefboy Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:40 am

this is a brand new build never run yet.I used the crank gear on my new crank.No I did not set the shaft while halved.I thought i damaged the gear so i tore it down and rebuilt yesterday to the same result.been almost 20 yrs since my last vw.so bare w me im learning some here.shims are 0050 thick.is this a problem you know about?if im not answering your questions please be patient.

mcmscott Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:49 am

Do you have the dist. in?

OLD VW NUT Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:49 am

Stick a distributor in it.

The dist drive wants to climb out of the case because the gears will force it up when there is no dist installed. Don't forget to install the spring that nestles inside the drive - its what keeps the dist drive gear from bouncing into the bottom of the dist and causing the timing to change.

jefboy Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:54 am

yeah I have put it in.I cant hold it down w a screwdriver.

Googlestein Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:57 am

How many shims did you use? The books say the gear spacing from the case should be minimum of .020 up to .050 as acceptable. With a minimum of 2 spacers in a VW type one motor.

Do you have any rebuild books? This topic is covered in all of mine for setting distributor drive shaft install. It is usually setup in the engine mock up stage after messing with the crank fitment.

I personally don't have any experience with your problem I'm just stating the book and the proper build procedure.

Being that your brand new to the Samba and this is your first post. I will say there are millions of questions asked daily to the Samba. Most of the questions are very answerable is you follow the written instructions or take the time to search the forums. I'm just trying to help you out and save the master minds from the simple first questions we all should do before asking for help.

Not trying to be rude, just trying to help :D

jefboy Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:01 am

all good advice,im just dumbfounded i cant figure this out.im not stupid..but i sure feel like i am now.got the books,thanks for taking the time to try to help

rockurob Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:23 pm

jefboy wrote: yeah I have put it in.I cant hold it down w a screwdriver.
don't try to hold it down with a screwdriver....
like OLD VW NUT stated "Stick a distributor in it. "

Install a distributor, like you were going to run it
(meaning all of the way in/down, with the clamp, tight on the
10mm and your 13mm all tight)
then turn the motor over and check for a bind or resistance

you may be surprised ??
or enlightened?? ...but that will give us a little more to go
on that are trying to help you

we also do not know if your are in the short block stage....
no barrels, pistons or heads or long block stage
if you are in the short block stage....use rubber bands to float
the rods so they will not bind against the case

jefboy Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:50 pm

ok will try bolting in.Im long block stage.was looking forward to fire up today.oh well will taste sweeter later.thanks