TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Weird wiring problem
dpetteng Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:03 pm

So I have a US 67 Squareback and finalizing some bits after my rebuild.

It seems my lights doesn't work and I think it is down to my relay. I have a 4 terminal relay with terminals "f" "56a" "s" and "56". It seems that F goes to dipped beam headlights, 56a goes to Full beam headlights, 56 goes to the light switch and S goes to the toggle switch for full beam on the indicator arm.

It seems that my switch has no effect and terminals F and 56s are constantly earthed?

Any ideas?

Bobnotch Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:30 pm

dpetteng wrote: So I have a US 67 Squareback and finalizing some bits after my rebuild.

It seems my lights doesn't work and I think it is down to my relay. I have a 4 terminal relay with terminals "f" "56a" "s" and "56". It seems that F goes to dipped beam headlights, 56a goes to Full beam headlights, 56 goes to the light switch and S goes to the toggle switch for full beam on the indicator arm.

It seems that my switch has no effect and terminals F and 56s are constantly earthed?

Any ideas?

Try removing the "S" wire (should be tan with a white stripe), and using a jumper to see if it'll switch (with 1 end connected to ground). If it does, then you'll want to check the switch itself, to see IF it's making contact internally (it could even be a bad ground connection if the switch checks out ok). If just grounding the terminal on the relay doen't do anything, then the relay is bad.

dpetteng Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:43 am

ok checked and when you ground the 2 terminal it clicks. I am not very clear on how the relay works as it seems both the dipped and full beam wires from the relay are grounded, that can't be right can it?