TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: how to install a 091 (6 rib) into baja bug
72lincbaja Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:28 pm

hi, im trying to install a 091 transaxle in my baja bug, but im having so issues on how to mount it. i have read over many other forums. but cant seem to find a definitive to do it. i would like to keep the linkage in the tunnel. this is what im working with..

BUGGUTZ Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:42 pm

Ten degree mount keeps er in the tunnel. Dont forget to change those lower clutch housing studs, the wont be long enough.

72lincbaja Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:44 pm

What holds the nose of the transaxle in place. Surely more than the shift linkage

KrAzY-BaJa Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:46 pm

http://www.mooreparts.com/7022-AC311229/

72lincbaja Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:49 pm

Also do I need different half shafts

Multi69s Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:33 pm

You will need different stub axles - something like this

http://www.mooreparts.com/1375-AC525101/

You will also need different axles

http://www.mooreparts.com/3259-AC525202/

jsturtlebuggy Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:20 pm

The front mount on the 10degree kit has to be welded to the lower part of torsion housing.
With using a 091 bell housing you will need the starter for it too. It is different than the Bug starter. Throw is longer.
The bell housing uses 10mm longer bolts on top and 10mm longer studs on bottom for bolting up the engine to it.
The mainshaft where it slips into the pilot bearing in gland more than likely will need to be shorten 10mm (3/8in) so it will not bottom out in crankshaft. A 3in cutoff wheel on a air tool will work.
Axles, there are a couple of way to go. Using aftermarket axles and Bus/type 4 CVs and the outer stub axles to fit Bus CVs is really the better way to go.
Others will tell you their setup works well. No one really knows how you are going to use your Baja except you.
You may also want to use aftermarket longer wider trailing arms for suspension travel. If not you should think about beefing up the stock arms you have. They bend easily when pushed beyond the limits they were designed for.
Also the clutch tube where it comes out the back may have to be moved to the side.

72lincbaja Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:25 pm

jsturtlebuggy wrote: The front mount on the 10degree kit has to be welded to the lower part of torsion housing.
With using a 091 bell housing you will need the starter for it too. It is different than the Bug starter. Throw is longer.
The bell housing uses 10mm longer bolts on top and 10mm longer studs on bottom for bolting up the engine to it.
The mainshaft where it slips into the pilot bearing in gland more than likely will need to be shorten 10mm (3/8in) so it will not bottom out in crankshaft. A 3in cutoff wheel on a air tool will work.
Axles, there are a couple of way to go. Using aftermarket axles and Bus/type 4 CVs and the outer stub axles to fit Bus CVs is really the better way to go.
Others will tell you their setup works well. No one really knows how you are going to use your Baja except you.
You may also want to use aftermarket longer wider trailing arms for suspension travel. If not you should think about beefing up the stock arms you have. They bend easily when pushed beyond the limits they were designed for.
Also the clutch tube where it comes out the back may have to be moved to the side.
Thank you! This is the response I needed

jsturtlebuggy Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:05 pm

I forgot to add that the inner lip on frame horns will more than likely need to be trimmed in places to clear transmission. This is because the trans will now be sitting down between them towards the front.
Also the backup light switch will interferes with left side frame horn. If you want backup lights you will have to do some modifications to make it fit.
Another thing you may want to do is weld the seams on the frame horns. They are only spot welded together and have been known to come apart.

ORANGECRUSHer Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:41 am

I'm really surprised there isn't a proper step-by-step on this that he could find. It's a shame being that it's so common.

BUGGUTZ Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:41 pm

Or get an 002 bell housing. No special starter, no longer studs and bolts. Individual results may vary.

KrAzY-BaJa Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:49 pm

BUGGUTZ wrote: Or get an 002 bell housing. No special starter, no longer studs and bolts. Individual results may vary.
this should read like :lol:
Get an 002 bell housing. No special starter, no longer studs and bolts.*
* Individual results may vary

if you can find 1 its nice for the simplicity

mattfarmer Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:15 am

I've got an 002 and a 10degree mount kit, I'm just a little sketchy about all the modification in the rear... and how to do it!

jsturtlebuggy Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:37 am

Matt,
What modifications are you talking about?
If you are not sure of your abilities to figure out how things should work, it may be wise to take it to someone who can do the work for you.

Finding 002 bell housings is not as easy as before. The only way I know of getting one now is to buy a used trans.

Spaceman7Spiff Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:05 pm

I was nervous installing mine as well but it turned out to be easier than I thought. As long as you can glue two pieces of metal together with a welder and run a grinder, you'll be fine. I seem to remember a basic instruction page somewhere out there but I'm not sure where.

As far as axles, I used stock bug axles with stock bug CVs on the outside and T2 CVs on the inside with no issues. Note that I was running stock, un-lifted suspension at the time though.

The clutch tube, I had to remove a tack weld (I think) and shift it over a bit, Then I simply took the flexible-clutch-cable-tube-holder-bracket-thingy and moved it up so just the top bolt was holding it and the stock bug clutch cable worked.

Also, not sure if someone already mentioned this but if you use the 091 bell housing, you will need to trim a bit off of the input shaft (0.75inch IIRC. Don't quote me.)

Here's a pic of mine just after install. You can kinda see what I did with the clutch cable tube holder.

BUGGUTZ Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:12 pm

Yeah those clutch housings are getting hard to find, grass is getting tall.

I wonder if you could mill down the engine mating surface of the housing??

jsturtlebuggy Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:59 pm

Well Bug you need to go cut it if it to tall. Maybe where you live they are falling out of the trees. Here in California, yes you can find them, but they are not cheap.
Weddle does not have them anymore.

Yes you can modify a 091 bell housing by milling where starter sets to use the SR15 type starter. It is being done.
If you go to page 22 in the Stickies above "Transmissions for Dummies" you will see the differences in bell housings and where starter mounts.

sloboatnova Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:13 am

Pacific customs has the 10 degree mount for $15 cheaper than Mooreracing.

http://www.pacificcustoms.com/ac311229.html

Multi69s Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:07 pm

Mattfarmer,

I live in Fresno also. I have a 002 (5-rib) in my Baja, but I made my own 10 degree mount. Even though mine is homemade, all the principles will be the same. PM me if you would like to come and take a look at it.