TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Slammed over stock? Page: 1, 2  Next
ragged63 Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:45 pm

Well I entered my 64 all stock notchback in the local vw show and I lost to two very modified type 3's. First place went to a squareback that was very nice but two toned purple with crome motor and second place went to a very nice 64 slammed notch. I was the only 100% stock notch there and came away emptied handed, thanks for letting me vent. Time to slam it on earlies

squaretobehip Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:31 pm

Did you snap any pics?

ibjack Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:36 am

If you bought/built your car to win shows, I could see why you're bummed. I'm happier just driving them and enjoying them than anything else, maybe it's just me but trophies mean nothing

paulpooted Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:04 am

ibjack wrote: If you bought/built your car to win shows, I could see why you're bummed. I'm happier just driving them and enjoying them than anything else, maybe it's just me but trophies mean nothing

this, just enjoy your car they way you want to enjoy it. Sometimes it will win sometimes it wont... just how it goes

thom Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:15 am

That's why I don't do the car show thing any more. I had the same experience with my correctly restored, 110% stock 1956 T1 Ghia; lost out to the slammed 'patina monsters' and late-model accessory whores. Nobody cares what is correct, they just want the bling.

These events are not shows, they're popularity contests of whatever fad is 'hot' right now. But don't worry, stock never goes out of style. A couple years from now when the classifieds are full of tubbed/narrowed/slammed cars, yours will still be presentable.

Nate M. Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:24 am

thom wrote: These events are not shows, they're popularity contests of whatever fad is 'hot' right now. But don't worry, stock never goes out of style. A couple years from now when the classifieds are full of tubbed/narrowed/slammed cars, yours will still be presentable.

That's the exact same reason I couldn't care less about showing anything I own at a show. I only enter a show so I can get good parking so I don't have to carry my swap treasure as far. :lol: While I do appreciate the work that goes into bringing any car back to life regardless of the style, it boils down to exactly what Thom said above.

I can always be found in the swap area of a show pawing through boxes of greasy parts looking for hidden treasure. :wink:

Mike Fisher Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:29 am

I voted for this '70 square w/tinted windows etc at the Woodburn Bug Run on Saturday. 8)

Yabbadubbadoo Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:09 am

I go to car shows to take pics and eat hot dogs.

ibjack Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:26 am

Mike Fisher wrote: I voted for this '70 square w/tinted windows etc at the Woodburn Bug Run on Saturday. 8)

This proves Thom's point exactly.

VWporscheGT3 Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:39 am

when are people going to learn the little children of the corn kids leaning on the car are just creepy... :lol:

chizucc Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:34 am

ibjack wrote: Mike Fisher wrote: I voted for this '70 square w/tinted windows etc at the Woodburn Bug Run on Saturday. 8)

This proves Thom's point exactly.

That's a nice looking notch next to the square.

Bobnotch Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:17 am

Nate M. wrote: thom wrote: These events are not shows, they're popularity contests of whatever fad is 'hot' right now. But don't worry, stock never goes out of style. A couple years from now when the classifieds are full of tubbed/narrowed/slammed cars, yours will still be presentable.

That's the exact same reason I couldn't care less about showing anything I own at a show. I only enter a show so I can get good parking so I don't have to carry my swap treasure as far. :lol: While I do appreciate the work that goes into bringing any car back to life regardless of the style, it boils down to exactly what Thom said above.

I can always be found in the swap area of a show pawing through boxes of greasy parts looking for hidden treasure. :wink:

Yup, did that 1 year, and 2 weeks later found that I had won 1st in class (with my wife's car). :shock: They mailed me the plaque. 8) I mainly entered to get a good spot next to the swap meet area (to look for good deals), and just look at all of the other rides. After a couple of laps of the show vehicles, we left early to go drink beer and go fishing. :twisted:

ragged63 Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:17 pm

Holy sh*t thats my notch next to the purple one, thats what i am talking about

Evilgtiguy Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:59 pm

ragged63 wrote: Holy sh*t thats my notch next to the purple one, thats what i am talking about

Dude I would've voted for the Notch. I have judged countless car shows of the import variety and I've lost count on the amount of times I could've barfed looking some of the "show cars" with interfoolers, caliperless cross-drilled rotors and tacky audio systems that sounded like a fart in a can.

Car shows are like figure skating competitions - subject to the opinions of a$$es. Shake it off, your car looks nice.

Bobnotch Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:58 pm

ragged63 wrote: Holy sh*t thats my notch next to the purple one, thats what i am talking about

Mike Fisher wrote: I voted for this '70 square w/tinted windows etc at the Woodburn Bug Run on Saturday. 8)

Now you know why you lost by at least 1 vote. :shock:

type3nut64 Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:19 pm

its the children of the corn doll. puts you over the top everytime. Open the doors and get sign made. Motor stock...paint stock....wheels stock.....then it will look like "Show Car".

I like the notch over the square. I have a square and its bright orange so I like flashy! you cant please everyone especially if its a participation vote style judging.

catbox Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:03 pm

I like the stuff that has been hopped up.
Personally I would have voted for one of the other cars in that row than the purple show car or the nice looking blue stock notch.
There was an orange square that I saw and probably would have gone with that one...if I were able to vote.

I was stuck in one spot the entire show working, so I missed most of it.
Two rounds of racing while I ate lunch and then it was time to go home...

chizucc Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:11 pm

The stock notch wins in resale value all day....

Yabbadubbadoo Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:42 pm

Personally I think Chucky would hit the right demographic.

Soul Built Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:12 pm

chizucc wrote: The stock notch wins in resale value all day....

[-X

Stock, I was offered $16k for my car. Slammed, $24k

Don't mod your car to win trophies. Trophies are useless and I actually used one as a door-stop. Drive what make you want to poot in the seat as often as possible.