TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Who builds a good steering box?
21junkstreet Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:10 pm

Hi. Long time reader first time poster.

I bought an eBay special " rebuilt" steering box for my 66 and its really not much better than my old one. I've already done spindles tie rods and drag link. I know , you get what you pay for , right. Recommended somebody for me please .

Also , what is involved with the rebuild process? Could my Cheap Depot one be used as a rebuildable core?

earlywesty Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:37 pm

21junkstreet wrote: Hi. Long time reader first time poster.

I bought an eBay special " rebuilt" steering box for my 66 and its really not much better than my old one. I've already done spindles tie rods and drag link. I know , you get what you pay for , right. Recommended somebody for me please .

Also , what is involved with the rebuild process? Could my Cheap Depot one be used as a rebuildable core?
Have you checked the center pin? Maybe it's not the box.

21junkstreet Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:27 pm

No not king pin either. Its a wagenswest beam and spindles with 3k miles and brand new Airkeweld Bad series brakes. Everything's fresh. I need a reputable box builder. Guess I'll check with one of them unless somebody else knows something I dont

joe56vw Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:55 pm

I personally know that greg aka campingbox does really good work on boxes

I thought I hear aaron aka widefive does them but not 100% sure on that but if he does I know he does good work

Ronnie at bus restoration might sale and/or rebuild some quality one or know where to look

wolfsburgwest usually has good parts and it seems a lot of people like wolfgang and busboys(I personally have had bad experiences with both)

I'm sure there are other but these seems to be the main people for quality bus parts

Culito Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:12 pm

Got mine rebuilt at Wolfgang International. Easy transaction, works great.
Only two small gripes: they spray-bombed it black (I would have left it as-is) and they didn't include a new 50 cent cotter key. Otherwise great!

ricosworld Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:41 pm

I am in the same boat, got a lot of looseness. thanks for the post

otis_bartleh Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:35 am

Same here... I have a pm in to campingbox....

21junkstreet Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:18 pm

Thanks for the replys. Wolfgang has been around for ever. Don't know why I didn't think about them . I wonder if my "rebuilt" box is good for a core.

D-train Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:06 am

buseric wrote: 21junkstreet wrote: Hi. Long time reader first time poster.

Have you checked the center pin? Maybe it's not the box.

the center pivot pin in the middle of the beam not the king pins on the spindles he was saying.

Cptn. Calzone Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:54 am

Wolfgang