TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Ignition Switch Problems
dlicious Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:23 pm

I searched and searched, but no one has had the same problem as me.

'60 Single Cab project. Currently redoing all mechanical and electrical.

When I turn the switch to the 'On' position, no idiot lights come on.
When I turn to 'Crank', the idiot lights come on and it will start and run when holding in 'Crank' position.
BUT.....
as soon as I release the key back to 'On' it will die. I can hit it back to 'Crank' as it is dying and it will fire right back up.
I didn't have time today to dive under the dash and tear back into that wiring. Staring at the wiring diagram I think that the 50 and 30 terminals are switched. Is this a sound assumption? Or is this an indication of a bad switch?

If anybody knows off hand, that would be great! I will eventually get time to swap the wires and be able to report back.

I just wanted to have the information available for the next guy that has this problem, and how it was fixed in my situation.

Here is a pic, not that it will help.....but we all like pics! lol!

Scooterboyd Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:28 pm

Do you have power at the coil when in the on position? It does sound like it is wired at the switch incorrectly. The wiring diagrams help keep it simple.
30 power in
50 starter
15 switched power (key on)
Your assumption may be correct.
Nice single cab. What size tires and rims?

dlicious Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:49 am

I'll check power at the coil next time I get out. But probably don't.
Tires are 215-75-15 BF Goodrich MTs on factory rims.

williamM Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:43 am

Dis connect the battery and remove the switch. Easy if you disconnect the light switch first.

After it's all out in the open I connect a light wire jumper to the battery without hooking up the big wire- so if disaster strikes- it burns off first.

If the stamps are hard to see- clean off with carb spray and tooth brush.

dlicious Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:46 pm

Update:
The 2 red wires were on the wrong terminals. I switched them and all is well.

8)

FritzCP Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:48 pm

i did th same thing when i rewired my 66. I fried the points in the distributor when i did it. so if your bus does not start, check there first.

Das67bus Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:51 pm

Great feeling when a problem is solved......you sleep better!!! lol

Das67bus Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:58 pm

volksheime wrote: i did th same thing when i rewired my 66. I fried the points in the distributor when i did it. so if your bus does not start, check there first.

Yeah, weird s@#& happens. I was rewiring and when I put the fuse cover back on, I didn't get it on straight and dislodged one of the fuses.....of course, the one that completed the circuit to start the bus.
So...........after checking other things, I checked the fuses. Put it back in correctly and there you go. Lesson learned!

FritzCP Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:02 pm

totally. after i rewired mine, i pulled the headlights on and the gas gauged pegged full. tried again and the gauge crept to half full. neither time did the gauge light bulb come on.

Then I grounded the gauge to the body using a seperate wire to the bracket post, and whamo! the light came on and gauge read correctly. The Lienies Red tasted really good after that.