TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Clutch cable adjustment, how tight?
Douglam Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:42 pm

Had to put a new clutch cable In today, I think I've got it adjusted right but nothing I've read explains the free play. I know 1/2-3/4 inch but is that until the clutch lever on the trans moves at all or until the pressure plate is contacted? If the free play is until the lever starts to move it don't feel the increased resistance of the pressure plate until long into the pedal throw. My cable also does not have the slack tube, just a flared metal piece to keep the cable in the bracket on the trans. Is this a problem?

Danwvw Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:59 pm

In a bug I usually set mine for 1 1/2" to 2" of easy petal movement. I think somewhat it's a mater of preference. I like my engage where I have gotten used to it! I don't like to press in a diaphragm style clutch very far. Basically what you want to make sure of is to not be turning the throw-out bearing all the time the petal is out.

Douglam Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:06 pm

The pedal moves fairly easy until I feel the pressure plate engage. Does the throw out bearing begin to spin as soon as the lever on the trans starts to move? That's the part im confused about and no material discusses. Tighten for free play until resistance from lever Starting to move is felt or until the pressure plate is engaged? Right now it's set for free play until I feel the stiff resistance of the pressure plate not the weaken resistance of just the lever moving.

Dale M. Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:53 pm

Free play should be movement against hair pin spring to point you feel resistance of pressure plate...

Dale

Douglam Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:13 am

Thank you dale. And I'd be correct that when the pedal gets much heavier is when I'm engaging the pressure plate?

Dale M. Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:51 am

Yes....

Also be aware of how soon peddle engages clutch as it comes off of floor....

Dale