TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Help with head examination
ORANGECRUSHer Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:44 pm

I bought a car with an 1835 that blows oil everywhere and also seems to burn it. So I decided to take the top end apart and see what's going on. After pulling the heads off I noticed a small amount of oil in each cylinder so I'm guessing I'm headed in the right direction. After looking closer at my heads I notice some damage to the exhaust valve stem and rocker screw on #4.
I'm wondering if someone can explain to me what happened and how I should go about correcting it. Also is it possible to ID the Empi heads and their specs?
I'll let the pics do the talking:

More pics coming...

ORANGECRUSHer Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:45 pm

ORANGECRUSHer Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:45 pm

ORANGECRUSHer Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:46 pm

modok Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:35 pm

That's what happens when the rocker spring washers break and the rocker slides over and off the stem end. Happens all the time and that's why we say never use those spring washers with a HP cam.
Looks like they kept driving for quite awhile before fixing it :shock:

ORANGECRUSHer Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:56 pm

Ok that makes sense. The spring must have been replaced because there doesn't seem to be excessive play but it makes me wonder why they didn't get the rocker foot/screw replaced too. I just picked it up to look again and the foot just fell right off the rocker screw. Eek!

So do you think that valve is ok to run like it is?
I'm thinking I might get a different rocker assembly. Is there a specific one I should buy? I had one of the light aluminum empi sets on my other motor but I didn't have it long to tell if it was good. Or maybe I should just KISS and get a replacement rocker screw?
Thanks

modok Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:01 pm

I would guess the swivel adjuster was the victim not the cause.

All you need to do is buy one porsche swivel and a rocker shim kit, and replace all those darn springy washers with solid ones and get the play set right...........if that hasn't been done already.

If you want to go with a whole different setup that's fine too. Lots of ways to do it right, lots of ways to do it wrong too :wink:

Quokka42 Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:16 pm

Hmm, I am often told I should have my head examined, so I guess that qualifies me to comment on this:

You are going to need to replace that retainer, valve and probably guide. If only one adjuster has failed you might be able to buy just one - I doubt there is anything wrong with the actual rockers, just get solid rocker shafts to prevent the original problem recurring.

Oh, yeah - my guess is you need rings, too.

ORANGECRUSHer Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:03 am

Would I be going over board by having a valve job done on both heads?

I really don't have the extra $$ just laying around but I don't want be in here doing this again any time soon.

Bashr52 Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:10 am

ORANGECRUSHer wrote: Would I be going over board by having a valve job done on both heads?

I really don't have the extra $$ just laying around but I don't want be in here doing this again any time soon.

While its apart have a valve job done and the guides inspected/replaced as well.

KROC Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:25 pm

I'm willing to bet your valve guides are shot, especially the one that had the pooched keeper, I have seen valve guides worn so bad that the crankcase pressure blowby is caused by combustion pressure getting past the guides and pressurizing the crank case,

I would at the min. measure for guide wear and get a valve job.

Cheers,

ORANGECRUSHer Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:29 am

I take your suggestions very seriously. From what I've seen on this head my seats are in real good shape yet (multiple angle not single!) and the guides don't have any play. Bearing your advice, I think I will clean up these heads real good and do a light lapping of the valves in the seats and then try a leak down test and see how well things are sealing up before I put it together or take it to a machinist.

thanks for the help