TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Different front seats!
Kick Kombi Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:52 pm

So having a few days off I decided to start on my interior - carpet and panels. While I was at it my wife told me I should do my seats with new covers while I'm at it. (A birthday present)
So I take off the covers over the seats and discover my 2 front seats are from different years! argh

Having a look at all different sale places available to me - eBay, thesamba, trading and Facebook vw seller groups no one has a type 3 front seat for sale anywhere near me. NSW Australia.

So I now have to make the decision do I care if I have different seats and order the year appropriate covers for each seat. Or do I just wait until I find a seat that matches one of my seats?

Kick Kombi Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:06 pm

Just to add. The plan is to recover all the seats in Red basket weave vinyl, matching the colour of my door and panels that I'm about to insert. (See signature for link to my build)
The closest seat in the above pic is my drivers seat (RHD) the older year I believe.
Hear is my rear seat.

flyinglow94 Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:14 pm

In the states here the seat with the side access knob, would be a mid year 67 and the other seat would be a 64 and earlier. I think the frames are the same so you might want to look at just buying the the spring back portion to a 65-67 seat and make them match.

DHanna Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:56 pm

Kick Kombi wrote: So having a few days off I decided to start on my interior - carpet and panels. While I was at it my wife told me I should do my seats with new covers while I'm at it. (A birthday present)
So I take off the covers over the seats and discover my 2 front seats are from different years! argh

Having a look at all different sale places available to me - eBay, thesamba, trading and Facebook vw seller groups no one has a type 3 front seat for sale anywhere near me. NSW Australia.

So I now have to make the decision do I care if I have different seats and order the year appropriate covers for each seat. Or do I just wait until I find a seat that matches one of my seats?

Have you called Peter Korsch at:

Korsch Auto Recyclers
23 Cary St
Wyoming, NSW 2250, Australia

He may have something close to you.

DH

Kick Kombi Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:18 am

DHanna wrote:

Korsch Auto Recyclers
23 Cary St

DH

No I haven't DHanna. Great idea. I'm at Shelly Beach so that's not to far away. Thanks, will do tomorrow. Was thinking of also calling Wayne Penrose who I got the car off as he has a yard full of VWs and at least one type 3.

Thanks flyinglow94.
I'm thinking I'm either just going to get seat covers for the seats I have (if the calls I make tomorrow lead no where) and if I do find one down the track will recover that one then. Or was even thinking just getting Mexican blankets and covering them that way until I find one.

DHanna Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:42 am

Kick Kombi wrote: DHanna wrote:

Korsch Auto Recyclers
23 Cary St

DH

No I haven't DHanna. Great idea. I'm at Shelly Beach so that's not to far away. Thanks, will do tomorrow. Was thinking of also calling Wayne Penrose who I got the car off as he has a yard full of VWs and at least one type 3.

Thanks flyinglow94.
I'm thinking I'm either just going to get seat covers for the seats I have (if the calls I make tomorrow lead no where) and if I do find one down the track will recover that one then. Or was even thinking just getting Mexican blankets and covering them that way until I find one.

Also try Klaus down The Gong way. I think from reading Aussieveedubbers he has some Type 3 stuff as well. There's nothing here at all around the Hawkesbury so no help there. There are some at Riverstone at one of the wreckers but a problem finding the owner there to do any dealing.

DH

Mike Fisher Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:54 am

I would sawzall that release lever off and upholster them. Tram makes simple foot operated seatback release levers behind each lowback seat.