TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Need a quick answer on Drag Wings
rrcade Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:01 pm

I'm making my own wing kind of like the RLR style, just wondering for those that have them or any other larger type Big Wig, etc. when mounted is the wing level or does it pitch up towards the rear at all? I know some are adjustable but for a fixed one is it flat or pitched?

raul arrese Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:36 pm

Never have built a wing for a bug but I have built wings for allot of pro-imports , mazda'a , Toyotas , cars like that but you can cause more harm than help when you build and mount a rear wing incorrectly , you don't want any un-necessary drag in the wing but mostly stability and a way to adjust the wing for just enough down force with out causing drag ... its a fine line , I wouldn't put angle into it and just make the rear wicker bill adjustable or hinge it .. basically a flat wing with an adjustment for desired downforce in the rear , it also has to do with how fast the car will go .

Warner Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:57 pm

My big wig wing is mostly level, then at the end there is a lip that faces slightly upward. The goal is to keep air from flowing quickly over the top of the car, creating lift. In reality, for most cars a small "wing" is enough of an obstruction to the flow of air to obtain the required result.

Warner

Dr OnHolliday Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:10 pm

Most people IMHO install a wing to CUT lift....

Warner Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:14 pm

Dr OnHolliday wrote: Most people IMHO install a wing to CUT lift....

That's what I was saying.....I see my sentence structure probably didn't convey that well.....I was saying the stopping the air flow over the top of the car would STOP it from creating lift. Bad sentence structure on my part...

Warner

rrcade Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:22 pm

I might mount a couple Deer whistles on there too...just for extra safety

benozoval56 Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:01 pm

Re visiting an old post....

can anyone supply pictures on how the bigwig or RLR wings mount to the body please?

:D

oprn Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:09 pm

The rumor on the street is that a nice big wing is good for at least 100 more Hp out of your engine! :wink:

oprn Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:10 pm

Double post.

NJ John Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:29 pm

RLR has two wings. One gets screwed to the body. The other is a bolt on. Check his site or ads on here.

Abscate Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:13 am

oprn wrote: The rumor on the street is that a nice big wing is good for at least 100 more Hp out of your engine! :wink:

I remember television ads for products with wings, very exciting. You could get to see them if you got the foil on the antennae just right

oprn Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:45 am

Seriously though I wonder if anyone here knows for sure, I assume this is a serious racing question and those that do are maybe your competitors?

NJ John Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:21 am

Someone on here said the higher the better. I’m sure the RLR wing is configured to do something. I want one just to keep my turbo out of the rain.

rayjay Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:51 am

There is a yt vid of a vw event at Irwindale iirc. One of the cars has the rear wing come loose at about 1/2 track. You can see it flopping around. The car had a big crash nearing the finish line. The moral of the story is to over build the wing and how it’s mounted and adjusted. I would also try to make the mounts visible with the car ready to make a run so a quick look will tell you no hardware has been left off or has failed