TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1776 Build ideas and tips
WickedKafir Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:30 pm

I currently run a 1776 in my 69 beetle and I was wondering if anyone can give some ideas and tips to get that bug some more POWER :twisted: I know its already reliable and will last a while if i take care of it but now I am looking for a lil extra extra kick. Enough kick to hopefully get me up hills a little easier/faster? A I want you to recommend parts, brands, and where to start my engine upgrade... C/R, headers, distributer, cam, rockers etc. etc. (Just assume I have old cheap unreliable parts if that helps :lol:

gt1953 Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:09 pm

Tell us more about the current 1776cc in your vehicle in order to give you input.

WickedKafir Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:58 pm

90.5x69 bore/strokeDual Carbs Kadron
mahle pistons
stock crank
engle 100 w/ 1.25 rockers
I think compression is 8:1
stock rods
009 bosch
compu fire ignition coil
not sure what headers/muffler exhaust actually but its a li rusty down there :roll:
probably getting 75hp :?:

jfats808 Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:09 am

Dual carbs and increase your cr to 9 to 1 by shaving some head ccs. Short of dropping in a bigger cam and tearing it apart, you can upgrade your heads. Other than that your almost at max capabilities with your current set up.

sloboatnova Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:03 am

Some 049 revmaster heads (maybe even slightly larger valves) with a performance exhaust could help. A lightened flywheel would be an easy upgrade as well.

WickedKafir Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:17 am

Thanks for the replies! Very useful.
What about cam? I was thinking Engle 110? is 120 to high?
Also how difficult would these upgrades be for me to do assuming I am "mechanically new" :oops:
What about SVDA Distributor? Any reviews.
Any other parts, suggestions, tips, combos and ideas are appreciated :D

57 Rag Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:36 pm

Lol... you went from "Enough kick to hopefully get me up hills a little easier/faster" to cracking that case open and changing a cam. Personally if your gonna go that far and pull the engine, splitting the case and all you might as well spend a couple hundred more and get some 92's and get an 1835 out of it. You will not need to go over 1.5" headers no matter what you do. Dual carbs is always a must, for me anyways! :D

vwracerdave Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm

WickedKafir wrote: 90.5x69 bore/stroke Dual Carbs Kadron
mahle pistons
stock crank
engle 100 w/ 1.25 rockers
I think compression is 8:1
stock rods
009 bosch
compu fire ignition coil
not sure what headers/muffler exhaust actually but its a li rusty down there
probably getting 75hp
With a Engle W-100/1.25 and dual Kadrons you are at the max you can safely get out of a stock crank. If you make any more upgrades you need a counterweighted crank.

bugguy076 Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:59 am

How about do a compression test on your engine to see if it needs to be freshened up.
If it does, then go ahead and pull it apart. The W-110 would be a good choice along with bumping the the compression to 9 to1. A good valve job while apart is a good idea. For more grunt, how about a 74 or 76mm crank ?
I would not use a lighened flywheel , will not give any torque gain.

Kjell Roar Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:40 am

A lot of people get better powerrange when they use better distributors than the 009.

The 009 was build for stationary engines, and only needed power at max rpm...

A 010 or 019 will be better through the rpm's, some use modified WBX distributors (electronic) with good results.