TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Petronix flamethrower svda help
Bennym777 Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:04 pm

Have the above dizzy and was checking timing today and was getting no vacuum advance.

Had a look at the internals and found mechanism was getting hung up on a cable, fixed that but no joy.

The vacuum canister does not seem to have much power, is it possible for a humans sucking power to move the arm?!!

Thanks in advance!

Glenn Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:12 pm

It should move....

Many have reported problems with the vacuum not working correctly... along with other problems.

Bring it back to where you got it.

aerosurfer Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:43 pm

I was disappointed with mine as well. plan to remove the advance plate and lube everything up very well. The Vac can should move under a little suction.

Mine ran okay, but the mechanical advance was only about 14* not closer to 20 like stock dizzy was. forget the what to total was too. It ran escently ok, but I moved the Pertronix back into a spare german dizzy and it runs much better now with full range as its supposed to.

Here is some good toilet reading....

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=576719&highlight=svda

Bennym777 Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:20 pm

Just after I posted remembered I had an old bosch in the shed. Night and day difference in suction!

Changed them over and getting good vacuum advance.

The petronix had around 400 miles on it, will only buy premium products from now on

OLD VW NUT Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:29 pm

Unfortunately the supply of Mexican made Bosch SVDA distributors seems to have dried up. I bought one from aircooled.net for my 2110 just before the supply went dry and I am very happy with it. John set it up for my dual carb setup and it works great. It makes large dual carbs very drivable.