TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Type 2 transaxle in a Type 1? Page: 1, 2  Next
TxKahuna Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:37 pm

I would like to put a Type 2 transaxle in my IRS Beetle what are the in's and out's
about the switch? KJ

mcmscott Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:17 pm

Thats a loaded question with no specifics, so Know One can answer it. Not to be an ass but notice the sig

sloboatnova Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:44 pm

Mcmscott, If you wanted to "not be an ass", you could have left out the second part of your comment. Therefore you have failed in your attempt.

Kj, tell us more about what your intent is. If it's a baja, search the HBBoffroad forum. Lots of info found there for these swaps.

One thing I've learned on the samba is to search first to avoid smart ass replies.

mcmscott Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:52 pm

sloboatnova wrote: Mcmscott, If you wanted to "not be an ass", you could have left out the second part of your comment. Therefore you have failed in your attempt.

Kj, tell us more about what your intent is. If it's a baja, search the HBBoffroad forum. Lots of info found there for these swaps.

One thing I've learned on the samba is to search first to avoid smart ass replies.

No, I think my point is clear. If someone asks an unanswerable question then the only answer is sarcasm, if this offends you, grow a pair.

sloboatnova Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:53 pm

I'm not offended, just don't want the new guy on the samba to dislike the samba due to your sarcasm. And it's thick skin we need to grow in this situation, not a pair. Lol

modok Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:04 pm

I think this has been covered before anyway....
at least one shorter axle, clearance frame horns, Hard to make rear mounts that are nice........since there's nowhere on the bus trans for the rear mounts to go. Engine isn't centered. Only a good idea if you need low gears.

I say try to avoid it, but a heavy car with little engine..........a baha in the sand..... worth doing in some cases.

sloboatnova Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:10 am

This weekend, we put my cousins 3 rib back in the car. While I had the axles out I checked them and they are the same length. From what I read, they should have been different. He has the 10 degree mount. Thats what I'm gonna use. I plan on measuring before ordering axles.

TxKahuna Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:39 am

Thanks, Sloboatnova and modok!

You both answered my question! KJ

gears Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:45 am

The truth of it is, when someone comes on and asks a technical question, but give NO clues as to the specifics of his vehicle, how are we to answer the question?

For instance .. How do you know his bug isn't swingaxle? .. and that he isn't asking whether he can take the axles off a swingaxle Type II, for use in his bug? At any rate, there must be dozens (if not hundreds) of threads on either subject.

gears Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:46 am

double post ?

TxKahuna Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:16 am

I put IRS in my post?

gears Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:28 am

Yes .. after the fact you did. Pretty clever.

mcmscott Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:54 am

Last edited today. No mention of irs untill today, so Gears stands corrected, this is also why my post said not able to answer

Brian Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:24 am

I would search in the HBB off road section because it is a common thing.

search

different bus transmissions accept different motors and have totally different gearing

TxKahuna Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:40 am

Hey, Gears!
I didn't say when I did, just that I added it!

TxKahuna Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:42 am

Hey, lustig69!

Whats HBB?

sloboatnova Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:25 pm

I'll answer this one. HBB stand for Hamburger Brad. He was the mod in that forum and from what I can tell, he was much loved. It was just before I joined so I don't know him here. So, HBBoffroad is for the offroad VW's and has lots of 3 rib trany swaps as they are great for offroad.

You never did mention if it was a baja. Is it?

gears Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:10 pm

Tx, my favorite combo for a Bug install is a Hybrid 091/002 with the Berg style front housing. It makes install a bit easier, and the adapter housing allows a wider selection of internal parts. Not cheap, but a great way to do it.

vwracerdave Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:20 pm

The best way to put a 002 or 091 Bus transaxle into a Bug is installing the Gene Berg front nose cone adaptor and using Gene Berg front and rear mounts. With the 091 you also need to address the issue of the bellhousing or mainshaft to use a Bug starter.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=439697

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=652358

gears Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:50 am

Jump on it .. deal of the week

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1649565