TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Engine ID (sorry I know...)
delox Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:37 am

I've tried and tried but cannot figure out the origin of this engine. I cannot find any numbers on the engine, and my guess and check has been to no avail. It is a single port head.

I'm honestly only looking to source the cylinder to head sealing rings (what's the proper term?) to get this thing running again.

What I'm told (no certainty of reliability here) is that its a 1600 from a bus, possibly 1960. It is currently in a buggy, and the builder was an owner of a local VW dealership and it may have been slapped together with whatever was on hand...

Here are a few snaps I took, and I can take any measurements/pictures needed. Please help!

mikedjames Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:30 am

Quick answer - there are no sealing rings on a T1 engine between the cylinder head and the cylinders.

delox Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:44 am

I was worried I'd hear this, but relieved to hear it.

Now, from everything I've read, ALL T1's and motors up to early 72 were stamped on the pedestal. Yet this motor (which you're ID'ing as a T1, why?) has no markings there.

That being the case, is any sealant used there?

sloboatnova Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:21 pm

The head to cylinder is a metal to metal seal. No gaskets or sealant. Are there any marking on the side that say AS41 or similar?

Take a pic of the entire front of the engine. There is a good chance you have a universal case (meaning, aftermarket supply that can be used in Type 1,2, or ghia.)

delox Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:54 pm

sloboat, hope I snapped a picture that helps. Also, notice in one of my previous pictures there is a side shot (showing two cylinders and the block) where you can see a VW insignia and part number, which lead me to believe the block was in fact an original VW.

stanthedog Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:02 pm

Looks like you've got the wrong spark plugs in there.

sloboatnova Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:07 pm

dang, I didnt even notice the spark plugs. They are way to long.

I'm no expert, but I think it is a bus engine because it has the front mounts, but doesn't have the ghia dip stick hole that a universal case would have.

Check this link and see if you can find your engine numbers on it.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/chassisdating.php

mikedjames Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:17 pm

It IDs as T1 because of its apparent age and the oil cooler on top of the engine block.
The metal inside the head and the top of the cylinder should be clean and flat . Its just the pressure from the nuts on the head studs that keep the seal .

delox Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:28 pm

Interesting. Thanks a lot for the quick info! I've never worked on one of these before so I'm learning a lot.

I'll look into plugs, but they land flush with the combustion chamber, would the correct ones be inset into the threaded hole in the head?

sloboat, I'll scour the engine some more, but do you have any clues where I might find these numbers?

modok Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:38 pm

The engine case is an odd-ball. There is an extra boss cast into the case behind the oil pressure switch that would identify it..........Very few have that but sorry I forget where they came from.

Everything on the outside looks period correct for a 67-69 1500 or 1600 including the spark plugs.........except the alternator stand.

Stamp a B on it, it's functionally the same as a B engine

nobuggybob Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:06 pm

The oil deflector plate at the base of the alt stand is on wrong :D ( You missed it Glen)

modok Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:50 pm

hmm, yeah. If that's all that's wrong then that's pretty good!

sloboatnova Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:34 pm

mikedjames wrote: It IDs as T1 because of its apparent age and the oil cooler on top of the engine block.
The metal inside the head and the top of the cylinder should be clean and flat . Its just the pressure from the nuts on the head studs that keep the seal .

I don't think any type 1 has ever had the rear mount holes like a bus would require.

Joel Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:35 am

looks like a 40hp 1200 with a replacement case, the RHS of the case where the thermostat bracket is will tell you what country its from.

sloboatnova wrote:
I don't think any type 1 has ever had the rear mount holes like a bus would require.

Replacement cases have them so they can be used in type 3s and buses.
They also have no engine number stamped on like this one.

sloboatnova Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:59 am

Joel wrote: looks like a 40hp 1200 with a replacement case, the RHS of the case where the thermostat bracket is will tell you what country its from.

sloboatnova wrote:

Replacement cases have them so they can be used in type 3s and buses.
They also have no engine number stamped on like this one.

Thats what I was saying above. That its a universal replacement

stanthedog Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:58 pm

Doesn't look like a universal case to me. I've got one in my ghia. Doesn't have the oil filler hole on the right front of the sump for a T-3.

Joel Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:25 pm

stanthedog wrote: Doesn't look like a universal case to me. I've got one in my ghia. Doesn't have the oil filler hole on the right front of the sump for a T-3.

Germany, Brazil and Mexico all made universal cases, there is a few differences out there, most but not all had the Type3 filler port.