TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: engine fire
andybla Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:35 pm

So today i started my squareback for the first time in months. After a couple of minutes/turns and playing with the gas pedal, the car started. Always nice to hear that sound again :)

Next i went inside and let the car turn warm, but after a few minutes, the engine stopped working. I thought ok no problem just start her up again.

But as i went outside, i saw fire on the ground under the engine!

So as fast as i could i extinguished it with my bare hand, yeah without thinking..., i guess i would put my hand in the fire for that car :D But as i did this, i saw smoke coming from under the hood!

As i opened the hood, i saw my oil cooler on fire! So as fast as i could, took a damp cloth and stopped the fire after a few tries...

Result: Electrical cables melted, gaspedal recoil spring crusty and some plastic covers are melted...

So i am trying to look at the bright side but things could have been worse...

But my main question is, How could this happen? Could it be that an electrical wire was laying on the engine, melted from the heat and the sparks acted as an ignition for the fire?

Prob dumb question but could there be explosion danger with engine fire?
And last, should i be worried for metal damage to my cylinderblock? Because that coil is charcoal, but then again that spring is thin material...

So here is an image of the engine at current state:
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k74/BoerkeSI/IMG_2187_zps95cb8e5c.jpg

tripicana Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:27 pm

It was probably your fuel lines...

Dan Ruddock Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:35 pm

Never let a new engine or a engine that has not run in months alone. You must keep your eye on everything until it is sorted. If you were watching the engine you might know what started the fire.

Dan