TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Jbugs wiper arm problems
Zebilmnc Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:38 pm

I'm hoping someone can help me. I ordered a set of wiper arms from Jbugs for my 66 deluxe. They sent me a set that I can not for the life of me attach to my bus wiper shafts. They do not close tight enough to grip. They also look nothing like the picture on their site and nothing like the one original arm I have. I contacted them through email over a week ago. I got and immediate response to help but have heard nothing since despite sending a couple of follow up emails. I'm wondering if anyone has had this problem or has a fix. Also, should I file a dispute with Visa seeing as Jbugs refuses to respond to my emails?

easy e Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:33 am

The arms/bases on the screen look totally wrong to me (for through '64 anyway, I don't know what '65-'67 should look like). Looks like '69 Ghia.
The silhouette of yours looks pretty correct.
What year bus do you have?

If they don't work, calling is better than email.

Wolfsburg West has seemed to get good reviews for their wiper parts.
There's a ton of original wiper arms / bases in the classifieds, from budget ones you can repaint... to NOS.

Blades, I'd probably go WW. The aftermarket stuff is all geared towards the post '60 5.5mm wide arms though. If you're going for correctness on an earlier bus (4mm arms), less options on blades, but the wider slot blade will work.

As far as the spinning on the shaft... maybe the ones you have just won't work & you'll have better luck with another mfr. Original should work. If you've got something wierd going on... a metal file & a new flat spot on your shafts in the right spot might help (some might consider the worst option, unless you have aftermarket pivots).

Zebilmnc Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:44 am

The base of the arm I have looks like this. I only have one and its broken that is why I bought new ones. I guess I will have to find some at a swap meet.

The new ones only tighten so far so the opening on the back is a rectangle that is bigger than the circle shaft. I don't know if I could shim it or something.

Maybe a longer bolt? That opening is like 150% the size of the shaft.

CPO_05 Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:12 am

I took that little "U" shaped metal piece in the back out and turned it around. It will close the gap some.

Zebilmnc Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:03 am

I appreciate the tip with the u piece. That should make them work without buying more pieces or rigging them.

cru62 Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:34 am

Or you could buy a slightly longer bolt. If you flip the spacer, you can bend it as you tighten the bolt. It may also bend in service which can cause your wiper arm to fly off into the black hole along the highway. Naturally, it won't happen while the sun is shining. AMHIK :roll: .

EverettB Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:41 am

Zebilmnc wrote: The base of the arm I have looks like this. I only have one and its broken that is why I bought new ones. I guess I will have to find some at a swap meet.

This is not a stock wiper - it's an upgraded replacement wiper that clamps to the shaft in an improved way.

These are not sold new and are difficult to locate most of the time but several people do like them better.

ToolBox Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:18 am

EverettB wrote: Zebilmnc wrote: The base of the arm I have looks like this. I only have one and its broken that is why I bought new ones. I guess I will have to find some at a swap meet.

This is not a stock wiper - it's an upgraded replacement wiper that clamps to the shaft in an improved way.

These are not sold new and are difficult to locate most of the time but several people do like them better.

That is the recall replacement wiper arm.

easy e Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:27 am

Zebilmnc wrote: That opening is like 150% the size of the shaft.
Sounds like like an engineer's analytical skills coming out & blowing his third base to home chances.

BarryL Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:07 pm

At least third base is 150% of second.

mstephens28 Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:55 pm

I thought installing new repro wiper arms would be the easiest job on my bus yet...no such luck. First I got the WCM ones. The spring was really tight when I tried to open the hinged piece for installation. I forced both of them open, and didn't realize until later that the spring had popped loose on both of them, effectively making them junk.

I just received some WW ones. Once again the spring seems VERY tight. I'm afraid if I try to force them open again I'll ruin another set. Am I missing something?

Thanks

easy e Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:29 pm

Force them open. The tight spring is what lets them be a squeegee.....but, the arm should be inserted enough into the base (beyond the set screws) that it captures the spring.

Should be able to see the arm in the spring here & I don't. The swiveling part of the clamp has a finger that goes into the spring... need to trap spring on both ends.

See what I'm saying?

mstephens28 Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:59 pm

So...place the arm loosely on the post (the piece that rotates when the wipers are on), and then use the post as leverage to force the swiveling part open and tighten the bolt? By set screws do you mean the bolt that tightens the arm down to the post?

easy e Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:07 am

The set screws... the two little tiny ones on the skinnier part of the arm base that keep the arm in the base.

Can do it the way you describe, but I'd probably...
Make sure arm is in shaft a little to retain spring.
Put a screwdriver or Allen head wrench in where the pivot shaft goes & make it open.
Put on the shaft & tighten the little bolt.
Put wiper down on windshield.
If needs re-adjustment... lift wiper, loosen bolt a fuzz, adjust, tighten bolt...
Repeat till happy with alignment.

mstephens28 Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:02 pm

Ok I get it now, thanks! The arm appears to be visible inside the spring on the new set I just got. I'll have to go back and check the set I destroyed and see if that was the problem.