TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 6 volt motor tuning!
arick793 Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:57 pm

Hi guys, my buddy just got his dune buggy on the road and I'm trying to help him work out some bugs. I believe the motor is a 65/66, because it was originally a 6 volt. We have modified a 12 volt generator to fit, and the whole car is 12 volts. We put in a 12 volt coil. It has dual carburetors and a points distributor with vacuum advance. It runs okay, but is completely gutless. I didn't expect much with only ~60 horsepower, but it can't weigh more than 1,500 pounds.... Anyway, on to my questions. First, are we going to ruin the electric chokes by running 12 volts to them? We're going to replace the points and condenser, and once again, are the 6 volt replacements going to work with the 12v configuration? If not, what would be acceptable replacements? And what is a recomended starting point for the timing? Thanks a lot!

Bobnotch Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:34 pm

I think your timing is off, if it won't run good.
But, I'd loosen the 3 screws per electric choke (2), and turn them wide open, and then lock them down (then you can remove the wire to the chokes). You want to start at 7.5* BTDC on your timing, unless you have an 009 distributor. If you have an 009, the start at "0", then run the engine to 3000 rpms, and set the timing to 28 to 30 degrees. Then let the idle timing fall where it will.
Let us know how it runs after doing that.