TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Crash's 67 project bug Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
2T2-Crash Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:21 pm

I picked up a 1967 VW today on the cheap.
The good: the body and frame is in great shape, no rust in the pans or trays, no body rot or even any significant rust.
The interior is in good shape, seats are good aside from one rip, the nobs, windows, etc work.

The bad: my dash was cut for a stereo, a door nob needs replacing (easy) and my seat has a god aweful seat cover.

The ugly: pretty sure the engine has a bad main bearing. It rattles to all hell and I have a VW engine mechanic that is going to listen to it and tell me my options. The engine was a known issue and frankly why I got it so cheap. A VW engine is easier for me to fix/rebuild than heavy body work.

panicman Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:29 pm

Great find! What are your plans?

2T2-Crash Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:33 pm

I am going to pull the engine out, tear it down and see if I'm going to rebuild or replace.
I got the bug because I love em and they rock, but also because I need a vehicle that is good on fuel while I go to and from school 30 miles each way and my XJ just won't cut it.... The GI bill only pays so much.

Basically she is staying pretty much stock.

wcfvw69 Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:45 pm

Nice bug. Good call getting a solid body vs. a rust repair, nightmare. I like that you're keeping her stock as well.

Engine rebuilds are a blast! Enjoy the process.

2T2-Crash Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:50 pm

wcfvw69 wrote: Nice bug. Good call getting a solid body vs. a rust repair, nightmare. I like that you're keeping her stock as well.

Engine rebuilds are a blast! Enjoy the process.

I'm looking forward to it. I need to do some research and get a game plan going for it.

grandpa pete Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:04 pm

Nice bug...Welcome to the Samba
There is lots of engine rebuild info on the projects and build stickies { go to the top of the 1958 - 1967 forum page }.....There is a recommended "how to " book for rebuilding too....I think it's by Wilson.....Keep us posted and ask questions 8)

2T2-Crash Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:50 pm

So what is the go to web site for ordering parts?

shortride Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:40 am

2T2-Crash wrote: So what is the go to web site for ordering parts?

There are lots of parts sources. I would suggest you shop the Samba classified first. The larger and most popular suppliers are Wolfsburg West, West Coast Metric, Cip1, Airhead Parts, Mid America Motor Works and J Bugs. I'm sure I left out a few.

wcfvw69 Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:40 am

2T2-Crash wrote: So what is the go to web site for ordering parts?

Shortride mentioned some good vendors. Cip-1 is close to you and are pretty good. They list the quality of the parts along with giving you quality choices. I'd avoid Mid-America. See there feedback link on this site. High prices for lousy parts.

My go to vendors are-

Wolfsburg West
Cip-1
Aircooled.net

grandpa pete Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:07 am

Be aware that the joy of saving $10 on a new part can dull as Quickly as the poor finish on that part...

Wolfsburg west is my choice for QUALITY parts .

2nd67 Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:50 am

great looking car!. so much original and untouched/unmolested. you are right with the engine/trans being the easiest aspect of restoration on these cars. the more time you spend on the samba the more you will realize how much of a jewel" you bought!.

2T2-Crash Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:14 am

2nd67 wrote: great looking car!. so much original and untouched/unmolested. you are right with the engine/trans being the easiest aspect of restoration on these cars. the more time you spend on the samba the more you will realize how much of a jewel" you bought!.
It was being sold by the second owner for 2750... There were a bunch of folks interested so I offered $3k, plus a third of it in down payment (bought it Sunday) until I could come back the next day with the rest of the cash and a trailer.

It was bought new by a guy, who then gave it to his son... Whom I bought it off of.

irvanm Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:51 am

I think it's pretty darn spectacular

Bugugly Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:03 pm

There's a website called www.1967beetle.com for '67 bug owners. Lots of '67 support there. Eric the host knows everything about that year.

http://1967beetle.com/

2T2-Crash Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:26 pm

Bugugly wrote: There's a website called www.1967beetle.com for '67 bug owners. Lots of '67 support there. Eric the host knows everything about that year.

http://1967beetle.com/

Just went through all the tech write ups and bookmarked a bunch, thanks! 8)

I was messin around in the cargo compartment and noticed the carpet was wet.. So I pulled it back and found wet padding. :shock:
I pulled the seats and carpet and joy oh joy I find some water and surface rust.

Good news is that it's only minor surface and seems to only be in the cargo area.
Bad news is I need to figure out where the heck it's coming from, I think it's the back corners of the cargo box.
Pics make it look worse than it is.

pb_foots Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm

probably the seal for your back window. No big deal, at least you caught it in time!

2T2-Crash Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:15 pm

pb_foots wrote: probably the seal for your back window. No big deal, at least you caught it in time!
That's what I thought, but when I pulled the liner and padding off from under the rear window it looks clean, no indication of leaks which is odd to me. I'll snap some pictures.

2T2-Crash Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:26 pm

Spoke too soon. :shock:
Rear window seal is leaking. The water is seeping between the glass and seal

Looks like rust flaking under the seal.

The rust put a hole in one spot of the pan but a bit of bondo and no problem, a bit of surface rust on the back and sides.

Already got the wire brushes, rust eater and spray primer. I can't spring for a professional paint job so it's probably going to be color matching rattle can.

2nd67 Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:48 am

google "automotivetouchup" and check out their paint. you can order it in rattle cans using "oe" paint codes and get fantastic results. you will also want to get a can of their clear coat to finish/seal the base coat and it is the real deal clear coat with those beautiful "isocyanides" that will kill you dead but the finish will last a very long time. if you don't have a respirator than order the mask from them also." absolutely do not spray the clearcoat without a mask and allow no one to watch or be anywhere they can get a wiff of it".

2T2-Crash Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:06 am

Will do, thanks!
I'm halfway tempted to put bed liner back there since it will all be covered by carpet but I don't think sound deadening material will grip very
Well.