TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Bus CV conversion to a Super Beetle
jl_1303 Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:53 pm

I have a Berg 5, in a Z Super Beetle SSC case, built with 181 flanges, intending to convert to using the supposedly stronger type 2 CVs. I also plan to retain the use of the original type 1 drive axles.

In order to do that, I have arranged the centres of the 4 bus CVs to be milled down to accomodate the snap ring clearences, as the splines of the type 1 axles are shorter (IIRC, the splines of the type 1 are 16 5/16" whereas the ones for type 2 are 18 3/4").

The shoulders of the bus CVs were milled down for about 6mm (if I am not mistaken) each and this translates to a total of length gain of 12mm, flange to flange, when these axles/CVs are assembled together.

My question is if the gain in length is going to matter, in the installation or the rear end geometry, or other concerns.

Please share your thoughts/experiences.

mark tucker Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:29 am

my rancho superstreet pluss trans came with cv's that had been cut out like that for clearance. it should not affect any geo issues.those joints also have more angle ability. there are two sizes of the type 2 joints (balls,cages,housing ball size) so you may want to see if there are chromoly cages for the size balls you have. rancho sent me the ones that they dont make cages for( or i cant seem to find them) so i fully deburr& polish the edges of the cages(all edges,every ball hole) to hopefuly keep breakage away..... till I get the better cv's&axles.

vwracerdave Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:26 pm

All you need to do is use all VW "Thing" axles, stub axles, CV joints and flanges. Thing axles are the correct length and everything bolts together without any modifications.

Thing (Type 181) used 411 & 412 Type IV CV joints that have the smaller balls and cages with more angle of travel then the Bus Type II CV joints. They are both the same 100mm size on the outside

jl_1303 Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:55 pm

If I have understood this correctly, the 181 type axle/CV setup is 3/16" shorter than that of a type 1 setup, on the contrary.

Information obtained from here:

http://www.blindchickenracing.com/How_to/CVJoints_Axles/axles_101.htm

[email protected] Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:44 pm

The 181 axles are a tiny bit shorter, and the splines go up the axle farther to accommodate the wider 181 Joints. The dimension between the CV cup on the trans, and the cup on the stub axle at the wheel are the same from a Beetle to a 181 with an IRS suspension.

mark tucker Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:48 pm

I forgot to add my superstreet trans has the super splines .so I think it even has a shorter than the 181 axles are. I wonder just how much more power the type 2 joints can handle .

[email protected] Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:42 pm

The Type 2 joints will take a lot more than a Type 1 joint. Like Dave mentioned, the Thing joints have a smaller ball with a thicker cage, and they will take even more than the Type 2 joints. Across the pond, one of Richie Webbs incarnations of his pan car used Lobro Thing joints past 500hp with his Bus Trans.